mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.

Hi Folks,

New to this forum as the one I'm currently on seems a bit dead and I'm looking for something a little more active.

I'm getting very little/slow replies, if any on the other forum and due to moving house to somewhere with no internet connection of any sorts I'm kinda after some speedy answers to some stuff.

So please bare with me as I Copy & Paste from my topics on the other forum as they may not initially make sense.

.................................................. .................................................. .........................

[SIZE=2]Hi Guys, new to this forum, was on an MTB forum of some kind years back but for the life of me cant remember which one.

I want to get back into DH/Freeride as I've been away with the Army for a good while and sold my bike before I joined, (Kona Stinky)

Now I'm looking to get back into it but just want a cheapy bike for this year, the following bike popped up on a local trading page on FB and I was wondering if you guys can identify whether the stickers/branding on it are actually the case, and if so whats it worth?

it'll be ideal for me to muck about on to see whether or not I really will take to biking again.[/SIZE]

Attachment 819651

[SIZE=2]established it as a Giant VT2 going by google picture results.[/SIZE]

someone then made the following reply:

Code:
    [SIZE=2]Its a not a DH/FR bike. 125mm - 140mm max rear travel and wouldn't be putting DH forks on it either....especially with cheap and nasty cable discs on it.

Could be any age seeing as its been resprayed orange...but they stopped making them in 2006 or 2007.

Would avoid on the basis of whoever has spec'd/built it is probably a clueless ****wit [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I went and got it anyway,

For 100 I cant complain tbh, will be something to get me back into it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] probably just get some hyraulic brakes off the 'bay and blast about on it for a year and see how it treats me really.

only problem is I'l going to need a chain guide, it hasn't got ISCG mounts (that I can recall) and the bottom bracket looks abit bashed, so not sure a BB tool can be used to remove/refit it.

So can anyone advise on a BB size for this particular bike and I have the rollers for a chain guide but have no way of mounting them at present, theres no back plate - if that makes any sense.

Cheers
    Rob

now a further reply:

Code:
    [SIZE=2]Depends on what chainset is fitted as to what bb you can fit, needs to be compatible with chainset.

If a internal cartridge type then you'll need an E-Type bb (for e-type bb mounted front mech) as these have a lip where you can mount a front mech or chain device.

If an external bb then you can just remove a spacer (if fitted) and the mounting plate for the chain device goes in its place.[/SIZE] 

[SIZE=2]It's still in pieces in the boot at present as we're moving house but took some pictures of what I could.

Needs a new rear wheel, as it's been replaced with a cheapy bog standard 8spd bolt on one [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

New (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-3d4be443-370e-4284-b871-1b77f296668c-177-0000003ace9b4780_zps0278a563.jpgNew (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-8657fa20-e9f6-4853-8722-ddf4ef42e4f7-177-0000003ac4c62e8d_zpse8aeb65d.jpgNew (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-ba726aa7-fd68-4083-af95-116a1858bb2f-177-0000003ad2eb343d_zpsd30e23da.jpgNew (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-d7e7508c-429e-40a9-82ea-eb59f8543bc7-177-0000003ad772caf3_zps5d6281cd.jpgNew (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-e07300de-4b14-47a2-9657-b8de6feda82c-177-0000003aca3050b9_zps849f5f71.jpg

On closer inspection it looks as though the chain has mashed the BB.

[SIZE=2]if anybody can find any info on this bike as it would have been sold then could you please forward me the details.

A google search just brings up reviews of bikes after they've changed certain components etc.

its been so long since I've been into bikes that I'm not entirely sure what I'm reading tbh.

Are bottom bracket sizes all universal etc, can I just go onto the bay and buy any old one etc?

Any info would be great, cheers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I've managed to find the spec list for those years and will assume it's the oldest it can be, so 2003.

The bb needs to be the correct one for the chainset?
    As in the cranks etc?
    So is it fair to say all frames use the same bb size in terms of fitment to the frame itself?[/SIZE]

This is something I then posted in another thread:

[SIZE=2]I have bought a second hand bike, but due to moving etc its been in the car for a week or so, but built it up yesterday and discovered that the rear wheel is closer to the left hand side of the frame than the right.

I'll add pictures in a minute, if their clear enough.

I was just wondering what the next course of action would be for this,
    I have carefully checked the frame to make sure nothing is bent, as I did when I bought the bike as I spotted the wheel issue at the time, but for what I paid for the bike I didn't really care.

I have for the time being put a washer in place to move the wheel over a touch and adjusted the disk mounts to compensate etc.

Another problem I have is that the bottom bracket outer has been damaged by the chain coming off as theres no chain guide etc, this will need to be removed to allow me to fit a chain giude and new BB, which way do the threads go etc?

Step by step guide anywhere for removing a BB that a BB tool will no longer do?

I'd also like to strip down the rear hub and change it to a QR setup as its currently running a decent rim but with a stuuuuuupid old fashioned kiddies bike nut/bold setup

any advice and/or tips please

Cheers folks.

Rob.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I have bought a second hand bike, but due to moving etc its been in the car for a week or so, but built it up yesterday and discovered that the rear wheel is closer to the right hand side of the frame than the left.

I'll add pictures in a minute, if their clear enough.
    New (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-5cf93a55-b962-4dca-a387-2a52baa762a9-1289-0000028c715ea33d_zpsb9910335.jpg
    New (second hand) Bike and a few imperfections.-8f7d5cdb-78fc-4160-a488-73881ae83ae2-1289-0000028c7c64af13_zps38eb07b2.jpgI was just wondering what the next course of action would be for this,
    I have carefully checked the frame to make sure nothing is bent, as I did when I bought the bike as I spotted the wheel issue at the time, but for what I paid for the bike I didn't really care.

I have for the time being put a washer in place to move the wheel over a touch and adjusted the disk mounts to compensate etc.

Another problem I have is that the bottom bracket outer has been damaged by the chain coming off as theres no chain guide etc, this will need to be removed to allow me to fit a chain giude and new BB, which way do the threads go etc?

Step by step guide anywhere for removing a BB that a BB tool will no longer do?

I'd also like to strip down the rear hub and change it to a QR setup as its currently running a decent rim but with a stuuuuuupid old fashioned kiddies bike nut/bold setup

any advice and/or tips please

Cheers folks.

Rob.[/SIZE]

then a reply of:

[CODE][[SIZE=2]Wheel...either buckled, out of dish, axle cones are incorrectly spaced or some washers missing or the frame is bent.

Try another wheel in and see what it looks like.

BB, you'll need to see if a tool fits it first, if it does then straight forward removal, hopefully

If not you'll have to take the L/H cup out the with a big hammer try and knock the axle out, then cut the cup out by cutting it into 4 sections so you can collapse them in on itself.[/SIZE]
    /CODE]

I then replied with:

[SIZE=2]HI!!

This is the exact info I'm looking for, I've managed to assertain (sp) that the frams is not bent, I don't have another wheel to try atm but will be my next port of call.

With regards to the wheel, there is a TINY, buckle, which I'm not concerned about, but being out of dish was my very first thought.
    I'm assuming there's a way to check if its out of dish? I was thinking along the lines of using a cord of some dircription and hanging across the top of the wheel and down either side to see if theres any offset on either side?

Not sure if it's this thread or another I've mentioned it but the bike isn't with me as it's at the new house, which we're not at until next week, soooooooooooooo
    I've a large engineering background, so am quite happy to take things apart and rebuild, but with that engineers mind comes the question, "can I rip it apart or will I break it?"

So with that, can anyone give me a quick guide/google link/pictures with how to rebuild the back wheel with a QR Skewer.

With regards to the BB, no tool will fit on the chainwheel side unfortunately, so I have a way in my head that will will remove it.
    Removing the cranks, and cutting a slot/slots into the outer part of the BB and using a thick screwdriver or other appropriate tool and a hammer to 'knock' it round.

But which way does it unscrew? does each side unscrew or does one side unscrew and it pushes/pulls out the other side?

Google results don't really give any sort of 'beginners' info, such as thread direction etc, the worst thing I want to do it butcher it the WRONG way making things worse.

Also how will I know which BB to replace it with?

Many, MANY thanks for the help with this guys.
    Rob[/SIZE]

That was the last I heard.

Hopefully this hasn't been toooooo much of a read

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You will have an extremely hard time removing the bottom bracket like that, and will likely wind up damaging the frame. I understand your desire to do the work yourself, but you may be better served taking it to a local framebuilder, if one is available. After cutting that close to the bottom bracket threads, they will likely need to be chased anyhow, and that is not something you buy the tool for to do once, since it costs several hundred dollars.

To answer your question, though, bottom brackets (assuming they are English threaded, probably the most common threading, now) always unscrew towards the front of the bike. That is to say, the drive cup unscrews to the right, and the other cup to the left. If you are going to proceed anyway, use a drift punch and a 1 pound hammer to turn the bracket, while an assistant holds the frame. Most nicer bench vises have a pipe clamp integrated in them below the clamping jaws. You can wrap your frame with rubber or cloth, and gently clamp it there, alternatively. Just enough pressure to secure it, and only by the seatpost.

*edit * you may be able to remove the cup with the proper splined tool, still. Since you'll need it for the other side anyway, line up the splines and try knocking it in with a rubber mallet. You may be pleasantly surprised, and it won't make it any worse than it is right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, well as I've not had time to remove the cranks due to moving house and not having looked at the bike in too much detail atm, I'm hoping that it may not be as badly damaged as it first seems.

My next problem though is to establish what bottom bracket to replace it with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Afternoon folks,
    Small update, fitted a different back wheel to the bike and found it sat perfectly centre, so went to work stripping mine down to find that (as it's an old fashioned type bolt on setup - on a relatively new rim?) that the bolts that turn in to the bearing cones and sit on the inside edge of the frame, were the wrong way round.
    So swapped them and all is fine.

Next up, the BB, managed to remove this easily with a set of stilsons.

This is what's left of it, or at least what's left of the cups, as the BB itself is t in too bad a condition and is still smooth.

So next up is to find a replacement and one that supports a BB mounted chain guide.

Any suggestions? Or maybe a link to where I could purchase new cups for this one?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You can buy the same model.

Fit the chaindevice plate on instead of the spacer(mentioned on the BB's label) on the drive-side.

You will probably have to remove the inner-chainring mounting bosses as these will foul on the Chain-devices backplate as that is an triple xc chain-set.

or
    buy a brand new Shimano Zee DH Singlering Specific Chainset comes with a new bb and use an ISCG adaptor plate as Isis Bottom Brackets were a step back in reliability

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi, thanks for the reply,
    It's currently only a single ring on it.

Cheers
    Rob