mtbr member

New crank for road bike

I got this very nice crank from my friend. I was going to install it today and when I crank down on the left crank tightening bolt this is about as far as it goes. I have not used brute force past this point. Do these things take a lot of torque?
    I don't have a torque wrench...just want to get an idea of what I'm working with.

FSA K-Force Light w/ ceramic bearings for road bike

Thanks.

mtbr member
    You're right those are very nice cranks. However in order to do this job right, you need to use a torque wrench. I would recommend this on a ratty pair of wally world cranks, but I implore you to do so on these nice carbon cranks. You simply cant do the job correctly without one.

Per FSA's website..

What is most important is that the crankbolt is tightened to the proper torque specification (45-55Nm). If a torque wrench is not used to assemble the crank, there is a risk that the crankbolt may not be tightened correctly and the crank arm can come loose and fall off while riding the bicycle causing serious accident or injury. If the crankbolt is over-tightened, the wave spring washer can be damaged, the crankarm and bolt can be damaged, and the bottom bracket may not rotate smoothly
    FAQ: CRANKSETS: K-FORCE AND SL-K LIGHT WAVE SPRING WASHER COMPRESSION - FULL SPEED AHEAD COMPONENTS

To answer your question about the spindle showing, I believe its normal to see a little bit of the spline as you show in your pic when torqued correctly

mtbr member
    Thanks. I will take them by the shop.

mtbr member
    My friend had a torque wrench and he added a bottom 1.5mm bracket spacer and it fits perfect now.

mtbr member
    Right on.. good to have friends with toolboxes.