mtbr member
    May 2013

Need new derailleur - long cage or mid cage?

Just want to check which cage length derailleur I need for my Trance X0 2012. The old (now broken) one only has the model RD-M780 marked on it. Its an XT Shadow 10 speed derailleur for a 11-36T casette and 26x38 front chainring. It's just the stock Trance arrangement. I don't know why they cant just mark this sort of stuff on it or have a different model number

Thanks

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    first you're in the wrong section.. go over to drive train...

and, there is a sticky post there that show you how to figure it out.. pretty simple math
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    you need a long cage with the 36T. A mid cage would only get you up to a 30T. I have a mid XTR on my Cross bike with a 30T. I think if I remember when borrowing a wheel the 32 was getting too close to the jockey wheels even with the B screw turned in all the way

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi bro, you definately need the long cage derailleur , i ride 2012 trance x1 which uses the same rear derailleur as xo.

MTB B'dos
    Really, that's your honest opinion and you're sticking to it? A mid cage RD will work just fine with even up to a 36t cog, the problem lies in it taking up enough of the chain slack in bad gear combos since there's such a big jump in the front rings, but in no way, shape or form will you have trouble with keeping the upper pulley off the cassette cogs He is right that a long cage would work better if you insist on using all gear combinations, if you however don't do that a mid cage could work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by oberwil View Post
    you need a long cage with the 36T. A mid cage would only get you up to a 30T. I have a mid XTR on my Cross bike with a 30T. I think if I remember when borrowing a wheel the 32 was getting too close to the jockey wheels even with the B screw turned in all the way
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you are just trying to determine the cage you have now - my SLX long cage is 100mm between the jockey wheel bolts and my medium cage is 80mm.
    If you are trying to determine what you need - you need to take up 37 teeth of chain. Shimano medium derailleurs are only rated for 35 teeth. On a hard tail I'd go with the medium anyways but since you have a FS, I'd say the long cage would be safer - the suspension movement may require additional chain take up capacity.