mtbr member
    Jul 2012

need help identifying this tubing

just bought this bench bike clamp:

Bench Mount Bike Repair Stand w Clamps Countertop Bicycle Cycle Kit Tool | eBay

and id like to modify it so that i have a longer "arm". at its current stock arm length im having a hard time working on the other side as its too close to the bench its mounted to.

tried to go to lowes, homedepot but cant find the same kind of tubing or anything with the same I.D. which looks like 1.25 in ....

thanks for your help guys and advance happy thanksgiving.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    best bet is to go to a metal supplier or welding shop

Picture Unrelated
    1.25" doesn't sound like it's very strong, nor does that clamp look very strong. I would suggest building an extension for the mounting plate instead of extending the arm. You could even make it so that it can move out of the way when you're not using it if you wanted to be clever.

Either way, if you want to build something just do an internet search for building materials or metal suppliers.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    First, measure it properly. If you can't nail the size, just bring it into a metal supply yard and buy some tube to internally (or externally) sleeve it. Get some .120 wall DOM, that should be enough. Weld it in. Cheers!