Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Need help for Hub bearing puller

hey folks i am at my wits end.. i tot i could do it and do my own search to find a bearing puller but i can't i do not know which one to choose. Can someone advise me what is a affordable hub bearing puller that u can recommend to me?

~Disc~Golf~
    What kind of hubs are they?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks, I got syncros fr hubs with sealed bearings

~Disc~Golf~
    I tried searching and came up with bupkiss too
    hopefully someone with experience with these hubs will chime in.
    sorry man

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    if you can access the bearings enough to pull them, you should also be able to see the model of the bearing. something like a 6803 or maybe an rs6803 on the side of them. that number will give you the I.D. to select your puller.

I've got specific pullers for the bearings I need 'em for, but don't they generally get rated by the ID as well?

I've been able to simply tap them out of some Spot hubs I didn't have the specific tool for...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

~Disc~Golf~
    Bikin' raises a good point... are you simply replacing the bearings? If so just tap 'em out w/ a screwdriver and hammer or for more fun a jackhammer .. yeah!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This one is overpriced but you can find something similar. Would work for all but the smallest (i.e. horst-link) bearings on most bikes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks highdell, bhd, biki, waved.

yes the blind bearing puller is what i will buy! the collet size would be a range from 8mm - 25mm. but its not cheap...

I found www.enduroforkseals.com do have decent puller and press but its a shop quality cost..

i did some tapping on my previous hubs. to push the bearing out but the hub body is the irreplacable part of the hub.. so a tapping mistake could cost me unneccesary cost eg. new hub, rebuild costs etc.. but yes i have 3 fullies and 5 wheelsets. so getting a puller/removal does make sense to home repairs. since i got cheap skf bearings access!

but yes thanks a lot for the help. blind bearing puller is what i will buy. Next find: a decent affordable bearing press

~Disc~Golf~
    Jhanney, I dunno if you've seen this, but I came across it while looking for a puller for you - I think it looks pretty classy with the wood organizer.

from Synchros Blog - where I found it originally.

and

The actual page at Wheels Manufacturing

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hey highdell, OMG its a very very good find! thanks for the help!
    can put that in my list of presses... now i am trying to get the prices!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    http://www.harborcountrybike.com/product_p/tool2270.htm

wow.. usd247.. i think i will pass on this one...sigh..

~Disc~Golf~
    Man! that's steep!

It'd be awesome if somehow you found it cheaper...It sure did look nice tho - oh well

~Disc~Golf~
    I found this at Universal Cycles for $95 (is that about the price range you are looking for?)

I don't know about the quick-release tho (seems like it could be problematic - i don't know)...possibly do the all thread and nuts/washers route...?

If I find anything else later, I'll post it up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yo! thats the ideal bearing press. checking eastonbikes.com online, i found they recommended pressing their hub bearings using a qr with say a large diameter socket. i did that once.. and had a massive problem. u have to screw it tighter, use the qr to leverage and so on.. but guess what happened? when unscrewing it out, the qr handle end came loose from the 9mm rod when turning it round. i had to saw the socket and the qr to release the entire attachement.. i wun go the qr way....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hahaha sorry the ideal bearing press line was meant for the one u found earlier the wheels manufacturing one

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhanney
    ...pressing their hub bearings using a qr with say a large diameter socket. i did that once.. and had a massive problem. u have to screw it tighter, use the qr to leverage and so on....
    haha,,, that's what I suspected would be the problem...there just doesn't seem to have enough throw or strength to do the job right!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    http://www.ventanausa.com/images/Bearingpresstool.jpg

not sure if it'll work for you, but a good excuse to buy a ventana in the future...

You can do your own bearing press, too, with a simple threaded rod and nuts and washers or sockets (even using your old bearings).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Has anyone made their own bearing press, puller before with the method mentioned above? (Threaded rod) Anyone have an idea about making a bearing puller? Does this mark up the bearing in a way that would affect any of the races?
    "Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles...it empties today of its strength."

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_06
    Has anyone made their own bearing press, puller before with the method mentioned above? (Threaded rod) Anyone have an idea about making a bearing puller? Does this mark up the bearing in a way that would affect any of the races?
    Pressing a bearing is a lot different than pulling in many cases, lots harder to diy a puller...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    specialized makes a very nice bearing puller/press kit ofr their FSR bikes. good luck getting a shop to sell you one.

otherwise i DIY puller shouldn't be that hard. i'm sure i could make one, i'm in the process of making one for fork bushings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yo folks! thanks for the advice. I will hunt for a cheaper blind bearing remover. it seems the only way to go for pulling bearings out of hubs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Are the bearings you're pulling blind?

You don't really need a bearing press. Take the old bearing, lay it on top of the new bearing, and wrap tape along the outer race to fasten them together. Now use a hammer with a light touch on the old bearing to drive the new bearing into place. As the new bearing slides into place, the tape will simply be pushed off it.

mtbr member
    My thanks to the OP for starting this thread, because I've just discovered that I have a bad bearing. I want to learn how to replace them myself.

I have a question about the following, blind puller:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id197.html

Look at the final photo on the above page. It appears that the collet pulls against the inner bearing race. Would that not tend to damage the bearing? Is there an advantage to using a blind puller over just hammering out the bearings by hammering against the axle? (I would use a plastic mallet, of course, not a metal hammer).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast