mtbr member
    Mar 2008

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box

I thought I'd share a recent project I've been working on for myself to take to races. I was finding that as a bike shop mechanic that when I went to race people were always asking me to fix their stuff. So, eventually I got tired of not have the correct tools/ parts for the job so i decided to make it happen and throw together something. I purchased this military o-ring sealed waterproof aluminum case that was used to transport some sort of radar equipment from a surplus store and went to town on decking it out with all of the necessities and some cool unnecessary things as well. I first added the pneumatic wheels off of a mountain skateboard and fabricated the aluminum folding handle.

Then I went on to the inside. I divided the bottom half to hold shop supplies and parts. There are ~15 tubes in common road / mtb / cx race sizes, A lot of lubes,cleaners/degreasers and bike wash; small parts bins for nuts, bolts, quick links, etc.. ; spare ss, 9, 10 speed chains; spare 9 and 10 speed cassettes; a pile of common chainrings; common road and mtb brake pads (disc and rim); full size tub of grease; and my FAVORITE a 24oz co2 tank and regulator tucked away in the bottom for seating that pesky tubeless tire..

In the lid I mounted three hinged panels of tools under elastic straps. With the most common ones in front and least common ones more towards the back. It makes for nice, organized work and not having to dig through a bag of tools.

Any thoughts on improvement? Sorry in advance for the poor quality pictures, my digital camera is broken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo1.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-21.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-31.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-41.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-51.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-2.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-3.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-4.jpg  

My toolkit / bike shop in-a-box-photo-5.jpg  

the catalan connection
    Man, that's the nicest toolbox I've seen, and its portable. I can't think of any improvement. Maybe more stickers?
    cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Ride Responsibly
    Sweet, where do you put the beer?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Sweet, where do you put the beer?
    You sit on the beer and tow the tools behind this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTLA...eature=related
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

What could go wrong ...
    a few properly placed stickers and its done ... nice setup ... best ive seen
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The only thing I can think of is maybe more elastic to hold the tool if they start slipping around during travel.

AZ
    banned
    Needs a bottle opener , awesome setup by the way .

mtbr member
    Brilliant!
    Signature

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Friggin awesome! I'm not sure if you would need it, but you could even rig up an umbrella mount for cover from the sun or elements.

And that's what I figured a bike mechanic's living room should look like, so good on you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all of the kind words! I have a Pedro's bottle opener that I'm gonna mount on the outside, just haven't had a chance.That elastic is just any old elastic either it started life as those new flat style bungee cords so the tools aren't budging.My friend and I have flipped it all over the place and nothing fell out of it home. I also have resisted the urge to cover the outside with stickers because another friend of mine is a very good pin striper and he's going to hook it up! Then the stickers will come.

As for the umbrella mount it's a cool idea but I already have one on my repair stand that I rarely use as we generally travel with an ez-up tent to the races. Again Thanks for all of the kind words!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That thing is pretty awesome...

I have this wheeled pelican tool case thing but that makes it look like flimsy junk.

mtbr member
    That is awesome. Have you thought about putting some straps in front of the handle to hold your portable bike stand? Post up an updated photo when you get it pin striped.

mtbr member
    That is simply awesome!

Members who have read this thread: 0