mtbr member

My DIY wheel building/truing stand

I really want the Park pro truing stand but am not excited about spending $250 on it. Maybe the next set of wheels.

So I had some scrap steel and after looking at Roger Musson's steel wheel jig I decided to whip one up. Took me 2-3 hours today, but I think it came out nice. Just screwed 1/2 wood shelving for the bottom to save some weight. I may but out some 11 ga and weld it up but this will work for now.

I used 3/8 all thread and 5/16 rod for the T handle. I used 3/8 coupling nuts for the t-handle mounts and the jig adapter to hold the hub. I drilled it out a touch to fit perfectly over the front hub nipple. It isn't large enough to slip completely over the 9mm threaded rear hub nipple, but it's easy enough to pick a couple more and drill them to fit.

I made it wide enough to fit up to a 142 axle, but will have to use smaller coupling nuts. Just need to paint!

Last edited by Hoban; 03-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.

turtles make me hot
    Cool. How do you make the wheel straight?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'm going to make a moveable gauge that does both lateral and radial trueness. It'll lock down with a wing nut to the wood platform.

turtles make me hot
    Nice.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nice work!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice.

here's mine:

Thread here:

My custom pro truing stand

mtbr member
    Evrac, I like yours. I was initially going to grind the tips of bolts/all thread into points but I wanted it to be more precise. Although I'm a SURGEON with a grinder. I also couldn't find pivot bolt with swivel tips on them anywhere. What did you use for your locating bolts?

I made up a quick gauge. I just flip it around to do the radial. Not elegant, but I haven't built a set of wheels from scratch so I'm sure it will evolve.

Plays with tools
    That'll do. I would be tempted to use some light gauge steel in place of the melamine so you could mount a magnetic base for a dial indicator on it. It's over kill for building wheels but they are flexible and precise.

mtbr member
    Good idea, I may do the base with steel later. I did the shelving to get a white background.

However, I could also mount my dial indicator magneted to an upright if I were to try use one.

mtbr member
    Got my 15mm adapters from mtbiker4like on Ebay. Inexpensive, and very fast shipping. Excellent product.

Plays with tools
    I've got a set of those I would have given you. I didn't care for them so I made a couple hundred of my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    was trying to see if can i get this TRUING STAND going and looks like it will. Just waiting for CUSTOMFAB's adapters (if i can figure out how to get them) for use with 12/15mm thru axles..

would you believe this design is being sold for close to $100 shipped? not including the DIAL INDICATORS, this design will be under $50 cheaper if you have left over materials.

got the design from Google Image Result for http://tuckamoredew.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/imgp4113.jpg and modified it by trying to see if can use DIAL INDICATORS instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My DIY wheel building/truing stand-img_5170.jpg  

My DIY wheel building/truing stand-img_5172.jpg  

My DIY wheel building/truing stand-img_5173.jpg  

My DIY wheel building/truing stand-img_5174.jpg  

2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I've got a set of those I would have given you. I didn't care for them so I made a couple hundred of my own.
    If you're not happy with your purchase please send them back and I will refund your money. I realize my designs may not please everyone because we all have a different way of looking at the problem/solution. Thanks
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 04-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    If you're not happy with your purchase please send them back and I will refund your money. I would appreciate it if you would not slagg my tools. I realize my designs may not please everyone because we all have a different way of looking at the problem/solution. Thanks
    Saying I didn't care for them is different from slagging them off. At least in my eyes. Your adapters are perfectly functional and get the job done. But I saw room for improvement, so I improved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, nice. Where'd you get those dial indicators? That would make any stand even more precise. Again, super nice!!!!
    We Ride In God's Country!