robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

multitool: topeak hummer vs crank bros micra-17

OK, my Biggie Sized Topeak Kitchen Sink just ripped my under-saddle bag off (well, that and the stop by the curb I was trying to jump!) and I need to lighten up.

These look like the top 2 contenders - both about 180gr, ~$20, and both have chain tools. The Topeak has longer shafts on the wrenches.

Anyone have opinions on one over the other? And I'm looking for a multitool for simplicity's sake, not individual tools.

thanks,

-capt p

mtbr member
    If you don't need the chain tool, and care about weight, have a look at the Topeak Toolbar (68grams). I'd rather have a dedicated Park mini-chain tool anyway. Just a thought.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    OK, my Biggie Sized Topeak Kitchen Sink just ripped my under-saddle bag off (well, that and the stop by the curb I was trying to jump!) and I need to lighten up.

These look like the top 2 contenders - both about 180gr, ~$20, and both have chain tools. The Topeak has longer shafts on the wrenches.

Anyone have opinions on one over the other? And I'm looking for a multitool for simplicity's sake, not individual tools.

thanks,

-capt p
    I love the crank brothers pedals and have a pair of candy sl's which i rant about all the time to friends over the spd's. I also bought the micro 17, but have not been a fan of it. Personally, I think the metal is a little soft and some of the hex keys are a little rounded with little use (and I am careful with how I use it). the shafts aren't particualry long. Also, I think the chain breaker sux too. I have not looked at the topeak one, but personally i would buy a longer shafted, hex set and a GOOD separate chain breaker eg park mini.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

candy

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    I love the crank brothers pedals and have a pair of candy sl's which i rant about all the time to friends over the spd's. I
    thanks for the tool note. overwhelming responses (other boards) in favor of Topeak Hummer if ya gotta do a multi.

2 questions about the candys (as I need some pedals as well):
    mud shedding and can you ride w/o clipping in - say, goof off in parking lot at office lunch break?

have been thinking hard about candys or eggs - but afraid that i'd never be able to use the eggs w/o shoes (technical sections and parking lots).

thanks, ryan123.

-capt p

bicyclist

noooooo!!!

before it's too late!! don't get the p.o.s. topeak and get the world sexiest tool, the CB 17!!!! why you should:
    -torx wrench
    -light
    -slim
    -really good chain breaker (i use it for all my repairs and chain-length issues on 5 singlespeeds)
    -spoke keys
    -etc..
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member

pedals

Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    thanks for the tool note. overwhelming responses (other boards) in favor of Topeak Hummer if ya gotta do a multi.

2 questions about the candys (as I need some pedals as well):
    mud shedding and can you ride w/o clipping in - say, goof off in parking lot at office lunch break?

have been thinking hard about candys or eggs - but afraid that i'd never be able to use the eggs w/o shoes (technical sections and parking lots).

thanks, ryan123.

-capt p
    I live in Australia and we are just coming out of our winter. I don't get too much mud, however there were some times (training and races) where there was heaps! These pedals are HEAPS better than the previous shimano ones as the mud just seems to clear through. There are much fewer parts.

I agree, you could not have a hack in the car park or quickly go to the corner store on the eggs, however you could get away with it on the candys. I would not want to go for a real ride without clipless shoes though, but as a quicky, you can get away with it.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

thanks.

anything's gotta be better than my shimanos.

Looks like I won't really know until I spring the money and commit.

Thanks for the imput.

-capt p

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    before it's too late!! don't get the p.o.s. topeak and get the world sexiest tool, the CB 17!!!! why you should:
    -torx wrench
    -light
    -slim
    -really good chain breaker (i use it for all my repairs and chain-length issues on 5 singlespeeds)
    -spoke keys
    -etc..
    I agree. The CB 17 is a great tool. I don't know why the attack crew came out to lynch it on the weight weenies board. One guy's argument was the chain tool wouldn't push the pin all the way out. I told him how to do it. Did I get a thank you for saving him from throwing away his $20 tool. Nooooooooo!

As far as the shaft-length of the allen wrenches, I find them quite sufficient for all of the bolts on my bike. The length of the handle is much more important where leverage is concerned. The metal is softer than my Park allen wrenches, but seems quite sufficient for trailside repairs and occasional use.

Mallets look like they would be comfortable with street shoes. Candys are so-so because the little metal engagement mechanism digs into the bottom of your shoe. Eggbeaters are horrible with street shoes, avoid those.