Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    129

    We the people ... MTB Superman's tool kit

    Here is a copy-paste of the tools/stuff list I have with me whenever I ride.

    Hydrapack 3L fluid (Camelbak Charge, the vent is the 2nd best I saw so far.... CamelBak Charge Backpack | Blister Gear Review – Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.)

    The best vent I saw: 2012 M.U.L.E. Nv | Camelbak Official Store (have a look to the video, you will see the pads... 1'' thick pads, really soft, well designed)



    Multitool (Topeak Mini 18 Multi-Tool)
    4 tyrap '' wide, 10'' long
    4 tyrap 1/8'' wide, 5-6'' long
    15' ductape
    6-10' electrical tape (black, '' wide)
    smallest tube of crazy glue (3mm x 6mm x 30mm)
    kelvar patch for tire side wall (1'' x 2'' x 1/64''?). Glue not needed 99.9% of the times... it's the 0.01% that really sucks!
    rear shifter wire (...the longer)
    the 2 jockey wheels kit
    1 drop-out (derailleur arm fixed to the bike)
    the tool for unlocking/locking the nut of the drop-out with an allen-key
    2 heavy duty levers for unmount tire from rim (my tires really tight, broke 1 lever once)
    30ml Stan's juice (when feeling lucky with CO2 or after selling the tube 10$...)
    1 Stan's valve
    2 plastic grocery bags
    1 4'' blade knife (spiked, 1 part that slice, 1 part that shred, can be smashed with a rock for working something...)
    1 high pressure pump (most lightweight I saw so far...Mini-pompe vlo Peace de Planet Bike > Mountain Equipment Co-op. Livraison gratuite disponible)
    1 adapter for CO2 cartridge (simple, efficient even with mud in it(yeah!), can keep pressure for 2 weeks after cartridge perforation)
    This is not the one I have, almost: (Planet Bike Red Zeppelin CO2 Inflator - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available)
    2 CO2 cartridges
    2 adators for valve (... to use a car compressor)
    3 KMC power-link connector (stronger than the Genuine SRAM power-link)
    5 chain-link (what I removed from the installation of a new one)
    1 common complete tire patch kit
    4 brake pads (without the small fork)
    sandpaper 200grains/inch (3''x3'') (for adjusting the thickness of the brake pads when really screwed and without being able to reset the brake piston at 0% opening... **** happens with Avid galipers...)
    1.95'' cheap tube (only been useful 1 time last season for me, not usefull the season before) (usefull to pay the daypass for riding)
    1 butane torche-lighter
    Fork/shock pump: When it's -3C at 6h30 and +8C at 11h00, it's cool to adjust the air pressure in fork/shock... Keep "FREEEEERIDE!" in mind


    medecine tape (not the paper one, the heavy duty one for climbing)
    2 plasters '' x 4''
    10ml iode sack
    4 electrolyte tabs (for dumbass that suffer of deshydration)
    6 Tylenol 500mg
    6 Advil 500mg
    6 Cafeine 200mg (standard cofee) (usefull to get my ass back alive when exhausted)
    6 Epinephrine (8mg, it's the legal dose in CAN, 32mg is enough to help someone with asthma or allergic issue...)
    2 Pain relief (got this from my last operation... can kick a stonewall without being in pain at all)
    50$US or 50$CAN (5x10$)
    copy of driver licence
    copy of healthcare card


    All of the items listed fit in the small exterior pocket. Exception to the tire pump and fork/shock pump.

    Tools weight? euh.... 5lbs? I know it's a lot, but, I've got myself, friend or unknown people from so much impossible situation that I won't remove anything. If you think about something that I could add, tell me.

  2. #2
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    701
    That's a lot of pharmaceuticals for a bike ride....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikingmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    136
    wow, i now feel a little uncomfortable that I just take a water bottle .....
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

  4. #4
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,283
    You carry all that crap but don't take a hanger? Or did i miss it?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post
    1 drop-out (derailleur arm fixed to the bike)
    Right there.

    As for me, I carry just basic tools. A 3-wrencho, one steel lever, multi-tool with chainbreaker/hex bits/torx/screwdrivers, an appropriate spoke wrench for my/other rider's wheels (black Park), patch kit/boot, and a spare 26x2 PV tube.

    A serious mechanical issue is cause for fixing enough to get out, not fix completely to finish the ride. Now, that said, short of toasting the rear derailleur, taco-ing chainrings, breaking pedals, et al, nothing would really put a major kink in the ride.

  6. #6
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,237
    Where do you put the couch and frig ?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    129
    lol

    I bought this hydrapack because I needed more room for the lunch avec extra dressing for late ride.

    I admit this is a lot of stuff, but I can't tell que numbers of times it made me able to go home on my bike without walking 20 km... if you ride in your backyard, a bottle of water is just fine (you are the category of people I help, no offense).

    There are people thinking that if the bike don't break, everything's fine. I respect that, but, I prefer to be ready.

    Everything in this kit have been usefull more than 3 times or could have been.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    That's a lot of pharmaceuticals for a bike ride....
    you're right but I'm too lazy to refill my stuff everytime I pick something in...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bloodyknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,060
    what type of riding do you do? what is your typical mileage?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikingmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post

    I admit this is a lot of stuff, but I can't tell que numbers of times it made me able to go home on my bike without walking 20 km... if you ride in your backyard, a bottle of water is just fine (you are the category of people I help, no offense).
    I drive 15 km out of town to my favourite riding area. I have a spare tube, mini-pump and levers in the truck, but never needed it once last season. I also don't have a cellphone, and ride solo more than half the time. Maybe instead of worrying about all the things that could go wrong, I just worry about my ride. I am also an XC rider, average 35-40km/1 hour rides a ride on those trails. If I was an aggressive trail rider, maybe I'd pack more.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee View Post
    what type of riding do you do? what is your typical mileage?
    EDIT: the weird track has no flow at all... technical ****

    Kingdom Trails - Moose Alley - YouTube
    a good day at Kindoms trails is 50km

    Sentier du moulin - YouTube

    I like riding with club, so it's 25km in 2h30 of weird track with lot of roots.

    Well... not the best rider, but, I ride like I stole it (except for the maintenance after each ride)... freak

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    129
    bump for all the new people on MTBR that don't know what is an overkill kit yet

    Well, new bike, new kind of trail, new speed.

    https://vimeo.com/86751813

  13. #13
    ragley blue pig x
    Reputation: manbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    425
    a pictures worth 50ish words



    this is all the **** i need to completely dissasemble and put back together a bike. everything to the left of the torque wrench is ancient history/cone spanners/square taper bs...just need to get some drifts to take hope hubs and bottom brackets apart...wheel truing is done with a couple of bag ties on the frame/fork

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    a pictures worth 50ish words



    this is all the **** i need to completely dissasemble and put back together a bike. everything to the left of the torque wrench is ancient history/cone spanners/square taper bs...just need to get some drifts to take hope hubs and bottom brackets apart...wheel truing is done with a couple of bag ties on the frame/fork
    You carry all of that in your pack when you ride?

  15. #15
    ragley blue pig x
    Reputation: manbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    425

    Re: MTB Superman's tool kit

    That's what youll need after four bottles of henry Weston makes your vision a bit blurry

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgutz71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post
    Here is a copy-paste of the tools/stuff list I have with me whenever I ride.

    Hydrapack 3L fluid (Camelbak Charge, the vent is the 2nd best I saw so far.... CamelBak Charge Backpack | Blister Gear Review Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.)

    The best vent I saw: 2012 M.U.L.E. Nv | Camelbak Official Store (have a look to the video, you will see the pads... 1'' thick pads, really soft, well designed)



    Multitool (Topeak Mini 18 Multi-Tool)
    4 tyrap '' wide, 10'' long
    4 tyrap 1/8'' wide, 5-6'' long
    15' ductape
    6-10' electrical tape (black, '' wide)
    smallest tube of crazy glue (3mm x 6mm x 30mm)
    kelvar patch for tire side wall (1'' x 2'' x 1/64''?). Glue not needed 99.9% of the times... it's the 0.01% that really sucks!
    rear shifter wire (...the longer)
    the 2 jockey wheels kit
    1 drop-out (derailleur arm fixed to the bike)
    the tool for unlocking/locking the nut of the drop-out with an allen-key
    2 heavy duty levers for unmount tire from rim (my tires really tight, broke 1 lever once)
    30ml Stan's juice (when feeling lucky with CO2 or after selling the tube 10$...)
    1 Stan's valve
    2 plastic grocery bags
    1 4'' blade knife (spiked, 1 part that slice, 1 part that shred, can be smashed with a rock for working something...)
    1 high pressure pump (most lightweight I saw so far...Mini-pompe vlo Peace de Planet Bike > Mountain Equipment Co-op. Livraison gratuite disponible)
    1 adapter for CO2 cartridge (simple, efficient even with mud in it(yeah!), can keep pressure for 2 weeks after cartridge perforation)
    This is not the one I have, almost: (Planet Bike Red Zeppelin CO2 Inflator - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available)
    2 CO2 cartridges
    2 adators for valve (... to use a car compressor)
    3 KMC power-link connector (stronger than the Genuine SRAM power-link)
    5 chain-link (what I removed from the installation of a new one)
    1 common complete tire patch kit
    4 brake pads (without the small fork)
    sandpaper 200grains/inch (3''x3'') (for adjusting the thickness of the brake pads when really screwed and without being able to reset the brake piston at 0% opening... **** happens with Avid galipers...)
    1.95'' cheap tube (only been useful 1 time last season for me, not usefull the season before) (usefull to pay the daypass for riding)
    1 butane torche-lighter
    Fork/shock pump: When it's -3C at 6h30 and +8C at 11h00, it's cool to adjust the air pressure in fork/shock... Keep "FREEEEERIDE!" in mind


    medecine tape (not the paper one, the heavy duty one for climbing)
    2 plasters '' x 4''
    10ml iode sack
    4 electrolyte tabs (for dumbass that suffer of deshydration)
    6 Tylenol 500mg
    6 Advil 500mg
    6 Cafeine 200mg (standard cofee) (usefull to get my ass back alive when exhausted)
    6 Epinephrine (8mg, it's the legal dose in CAN, 32mg is enough to help someone with asthma or allergic issue...)
    2 Pain relief (got this from my last operation... can kick a stonewall without being in pain at all)
    50$US or 50$CAN (5x10$)
    copy of driver licence
    copy of healthcare card


    All of the items listed fit in the small exterior pocket. Exception to the tire pump and fork/shock pump.

    Tools weight? euh.... 5lbs? I know it's a lot, but, I've got myself, friend or unknown people from so much impossible situation that I won't remove anything. If you think about something that I could add, tell me.
    Can you post a pic of your pack with all that stuff in it? I'm just curious to see it...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

  17. #17
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    If Superman went mountain biking and his bike broke, wouldn't he just pick it up and fly home?

  18. #18
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,703
    The tool for the tool guy that thinks he has every tool he needs but doesn't. Next Best Thing, a 26g lock ring remover for when you need to replace a spoke or for some other reason remove your cassette away from your chain whip. I picked up one of the cool little tools on a recent trip to Zurich. It's impressive in its simplicity.

    NBT2 lockring remover
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •