mtbr member
    May 2004

Metric allen sets with 1/4" or 3/8" drive for torque wrench.

Metric allen sets with 1/4" or 3/8" drive for torque wrench. I am looking to get a set of 2 through 6 or 8mm allens so I can use then on the torque wrench. I know that craftman makes a set -- I think its around $30. Wondered if there is a cheaper alternative -- Koboalt from Lowes or Huskey from Home Depot. I want something of good quality -- not really interested in the Harbor Freight stuff.

Thanks
    Ed

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2
    Metric allen sets with 1/4" or 3/8" drive for torque wrench. I am looking to get a set of 2 through 6 or 8mm allens so I can use then on the torque wrench. I know that craftman makes a set -- I think its around $30. Wondered if there is a cheaper alternative -- Koboalt from Lowes or Huskey from Home Depot. I want something of good quality -- not really interested in the Harbor Freight stuff.
    I have a VIM Hand Tools SHM400 - 9 Pc. Metric Stubby Hex Socket Set. It's a 1/4" drive set available for about $20. I also have a Craftsman 3/8" drive set. I have no complaints about the quality of either one.

All 26.5" all the time!
    The cheapest alternative is to cut up a set of metric allen keys and use the shanks in your metric socket set with a dab of grease to hold them in place. Most purpose built sets of good quality are going to cost upwards of $30.