mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Metal Glue/Epoxy?

The saddle adjustment portion of my seat came out of the seat post and it looks like it was just held in with some kind of glue. Has anyone had any experience with this type of repair and had some luck to report?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of glue/epoxy might last well.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ridemtn; 12-01-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Old man on a bike
    No experience with that, but might help to know what post/materials you're dealing with...aluminum, carbon, etc.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

gunslinger
    Take/post pics please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridemtn
    The saddle adjustment portion of my seat came out of the seat post and it looks like it was just held in with some kind of glue. Has anyone had any experience with this type of repair and had some luck to report?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of glue/epoxy might last well.
    Are you referring to the saddle rails? Did they pop out of their moorings in the saddle? If so, they probably need to be popped back into place. Then, it may be the case that an epoxy could be used to help ensure that they stay put.

But, I agree with the others; showing us some photos would be a good idea prior to proceeding. (I'm not at all certain that I guessed right about what the problem is...)

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    Are you referring to the saddle rails? Did they pop out of their moorings in the saddle? If so, they probably need to be popped back into place. Then, it may be the case that an epoxy could be used to help ensure that they stay put.

But, I agree with the others; showing us some photos would be a good idea prior to proceeding. (I'm not at all certain that I guessed right about what the problem is...)
    I assumed he meant the entire post head with the clamping mechanism separated from the post, as that was the only part I figured would be assembled by bonding, but definitely need more details from the OP!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Stay thirsty my friends
    Throw it out and get a solid AL post, those two piece posts are junk....no glue will hold for long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    try some JB weld, you can find it at an auto parts store.

Members who have read this thread: 0