mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Lost parts during move

Had to pull the fork off to make space during a move and managed to lose a bunch of parts. Lost both retainer bearings, the top cap and maybe the crown race? Was hoping I could verify the parts I need to order to be complete again. The pics show all the remain, the frame races. It's from a 1 1/8 threadless Aheadset, bike is an older diamondback response. I thought I had a grasp on what I needed until I started reading on zero stack headsets, etc - not sure what I have. Particularly, there was a piece that went between the upper retainer bearing and the top cap that sort of tapered to the steer tube. Help appreciated!

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  36.9 KB

turtles make me hot
    That's not a Zerostack. That's a regular 1 1/8" threadless headset. The fact that it says "Aheadset" on it tells me it's an early one.
    I'd just replace the whole thing with a Cane Creek 40 Series if your parts don't turn up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would, but I don't have the tools to remove the remaining parts, meaning I'd have to pay a shop to do it if I bought a complete new set... Plus the bearings are only $3 on ebay.

turtles make me hot
    Oh sweet. If you can get the right ones then go for it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The crown race will still be on the fork. Not sure where you're going to get the compression ring - the cone shaped piece.
    For the bearings you need to know the diameter and quantity if you are getting caged bearings, the diameter if you are using loose bearings.

ups and downs
    Since it's a Cane Creek Aheadset you could contact Cane Creek and ask them if they still have parts for that model. Chances are the parts will cost as much as a new headset, those were about $20

Cane Creek
    355 Cane Creek Rd.
    Fletcher, NC 28732 US
    P: 828-684-3551
    info@canecreek.com
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks all. Couldn't find the parts I need separately. Found a complete headset for $25 off ebay, looks like mine exactly but I don't know how to verify. Emailed Cane Creek (thanks for the link), will see if they can set me up. Here's the headset I found

Cane Creek Intellaset Aheadset Traditional Alloy Headset 1 1 8" 95g Black | eBay