Thread: Loose Bolt Base

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Loose Bolt Base

Hello everyone.

I have successfully assembled my first bike and tuned it and everything in good order... that was until I tried unscrewing the bolts for attaching my water bottle holder (in the bottom base). This one particular bolt, when unscrewed, nothing happens and the bolt does not loosen up. Instead, the base of the bolt turns with it and slightly scratching the frame.

Is there a way to unscrew this hex bolt . I have newbiecally tried adding some lube and then clamping the side of this slightly raised base but to no avail, the bolt won't budge and the base still turns with the bolt.

Note: the hex of the bolt is not stripped.

Thanks to whoever answers

AZ
    banned
    Return it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm not exactly sure how to get the bolt out of the frame, if it's spinning in the base. I would probably try some kind of locking pliers, like Vice Grips, but that could destroy the boss.

I saw this video a couple of days ago. It shows how to tighten the loose mount in the frame, once you get the bolt out. It's not a solution to your immediate problem, but it might show you a little more about what's going on.

Ask a Mechanic: Repairing loose rivnuts
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Yes, you have a loose rivet-nut. That's unfortunate. There's no easy way to go about "fixing" this except with some cutting and patience.

The first order of business is to get the water bottle bolt out. If you can get your hands on a dremel tool, you'll need to slowly start cutting the edges of the head off. What you are trying to do is relieve the pressure between the head and the surface of the rivet-nut. Additionally, you're wanting to reduce the friction between the bolt and the insert. So after you've got most of the bolt head removed, you'll be able to spray some a lube to hopefully allow the bolt to unscrew. So with the reduced friction from the head and thread lube in, you should be able to just unscrew the bolt using a vice grip or a tool like that. Like I said, this is going to take a bunch of time and patience. Once you get the bolt out, you'll be able to re-seat the rivet-nut using the link above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A long shot -- glue it to the frame. Let some Cyanacrilyc (crazy glue) flow down between the frame and the rivet nut. Be careful not to get it on the threads of the bolt!

Let the glue dry a long time. It will be hard to get it to set on a metal-to-metal surface. Breathing on it will help (moisture causes it to set). If you want to give yourself the best shot, go to a hobby shop that caters to model airplanes and get some "CA Kicker".

The surfaces have to be oil-free of course. So lube it after the glue sets.

If you get the screw out, proceed to Authalic's video.

I think Sanchez's recommendation should not be taken lightly!

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Return it.
    If it's a new frame this is exactly what I'd do. No sense in fussing with it if it's under warranty.

OSCMTB
    Some bike shops are equipped to fix this. Might be worth a shot if you've already got everything assembled and don't want to warranty the frame.