mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Looking for the Toughest, most idiot proof floor pump possible

So I work at an outdoor center with a bike rental facility. We've always had floor pumps available to guests as a courtesy. Problem is guests somehow manage to break them in short order. Don't ask me how. The idea of the pumps is that it allows guests to inflate their tires on their own when we are too busy to help (this happens very often in the spring and summer.) Most pumps have the opposite effect as we usually end up walking over and doing it for them because the guest has trouble understanding the pump head.

Pump brands we've tried are Park Tool, Pedro's, Topeak, Kompressair, Birzman, and even high end stuff like Lezyne, and Silca. None has made it through a season, most don't last a month.

So bottom line is I'm looking for the absolute toughest, easiest to use pump available. Preferably this pump would be rebuildable with replacement parts readily available.

Anyone have suggestions?

Class Clown
    We have one at work that is encased in a big metal thing. It had tools and stuff too. I guess someone could still manage to damage the head but it's pretty solid. I can check and see if it has any labeling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Anyone have suggestions?
    Yeah, stop helping! If they want a pump, sell them one ;0)

Magically Delicious

Indutrial Grade Bicycle Pumps

A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Class Clown
    yeah that's it basically. the Dero. The one we have is larger for the tools and stuff but doesn't have that nice gauge. I like the handlebars. It's a pretty tough piece of equipment.

we have this one
    https://www.dero.com/product/fixit/

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    yeah that's it basically. the Dero. The one we have is larger for the tools and stuff but doesn't have that nice gauge. I like the handlebars. It's a pretty tough piece of equipment.

we have this one
    https://www.dero.com/product/fixit/
    Run an air compressor. No pumping involved.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post

And a prestaflator with gauge.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    And a prestaflator with gauge.
    Just exploding tires and deaf customers...given the people have managed to break several floor pumps, would anyone trust them with a compressor. My vote is no.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Just exploding tires and deaf customers...given the people have managed to break several floor pumps, would anyone trust them with a compressor. My vote is no.
    Set the regulator to 40 psi.

Magically Delicious
    I vote NO on customers use of a compressor.

Let them use a floor pump.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Set the regulator to 40 psi.
    Sure, no one will mess with that or play around with it or use it for other horseplay. The OP said "idiot proof". The odds of something going wrong with a compressor in this setting vs a floor pump...well, let's just say it's been disqualified.

Personally, I would have voted for the option of buy your own pump if you don't want to wait.

mtbr member
    You can make things fool-proof but you can't make them idiot-proof.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    I'd go with the compressor and set the regulator. We were constantly going through floor pumps at the shop but one compressor lasted forever.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    When you provide a free service, people abuse it. Local LBS was doing the same thing, a lot of pumps broken, and a number stolen. Owner finally gave up and started charging a $2 fee for inflating tires back in the shop. Over a period of a year, pump sales were elevated, and $2 inflations slowly decreased. He estimated there were about 50 or so customers that were probably spending more money driving to the shop to inflate their bike tires every few weeks because they were too cheap to buy a pump.

Inflations are free now, but a service order is still required to be keyed as he tracks inflations as a tool to determine who to push a pump sale.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Class Clown
    well most gas stations have those compressors you have to put money into. i don't think you could break the dero and it bolts to the ground. the head who knows, people don't understand them. maybe laminate a sign with pictures explaining how to use it.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Harbor Freight sells a little 3 gallon, 100 psi, Hot Dog compressor with a regulator for $39. It's perfect for bike tires. In fact, that's about ALL it's good for. It's bullet-proof but pretty anemic. Chain a presta and a schrader chuck to it and let 'em have at it. Signage "Use at your own risk...new tubes are $12 at the front counter"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Harbor Freight sells a little 3 gallon, 100 psi, Hot Dog compressor with a regulator for $39. It's perfect for bike tires. In fact, that's about ALL it's good for. It's bullet-proof but pretty anemic. Chain a presta and a schrader chuck to it and let 'em have at it. Signage "Use at your own risk...new tubes are $12 at the front counter"
    If possible put the compressor in another room and run the hose though the wall. That will keep the noise down and keep people from messing with the compressor.

mtbr member
    If possible put the compressor in another room and run the hose though the wall. That will keep the noise down and keep people from messing with the compressor.
    x2

Even if a room or building isn't close by you can pipe it to an outlet anywhere for cheap using pvc.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Class Clown
    attach one of those valves from a beach ball and have a laugh as people try to inflate their tires

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    x2

Even if a room or building isn't close by you can pipe it to an outlet anywhere for cheap using pvc.
    PVC is a poor choice for air lines. It doesn't maintain it's pressure rating at temperature so if you run it through a hot attic or the temperature builds with use it can explode.

I do think the compressor is the way to go though. It's as easy to figure out as a floor pump and faster. Plus if somebody does blow their tire off the rim because they weren't paying attention, you get to sell them something to fix it.

Trail Ninja
    In the military, there's picture diagrams for everything printed right next to all the controls. I appreciate when I see such done on bike equipment. Army-proofing works well vs idiots. Helps that the components are serviceable too. xD

I could've used this for when I lent out a floor pump, as the guy had no clue how to operate the lever. The pump head's gasket was mangled enough to not produce a good seal anymore.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You may want to consider splitting the compressor hose and having a separate head for each valve type as well....normally not necessary, but if they can't even use a pump...

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    haha...those are the type of folks to whom you also have to explain that coffee is hot and can injure them if not handled with proper care.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    When you provide a free service, people abuse it. Local LBS was doing the same thing, a lot of pumps broken, and a number stolen. Owner finally gave up and started charging a $2 fee for inflating tires back in the shop. Over a period of a year, pump sales were elevated, and $2 inflations slowly decreased. He estimated there were about 50 or so customers that were probably spending more money driving to the shop to inflate their bike tires every few weeks because they were too cheap to buy a pump.

Inflations are free now, but a service order is still required to be keyed as he tracks inflations as a tool to determine who to push a pump sale.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    well most gas stations have those compressors you have to put money into. i don't think you could break the dero and it bolts to the ground. the head who knows, people don't understand them. maybe laminate a sign with pictures explaining how to use it.
    Could be a good idea to direct the knuckleheads that lack the ability to use a floor pump to the local gas station... Might increase tire sales.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    We had both floor pumps and a compressor hose available for customers. Floor pumps never seemed to last that long so we just used mid-range ones and expected to replace them a few times a year. Compressor hose was located outside the door so no deaf customers, we did sell a tube now and then after an explosion but 98% of the people had no issues so I'd say it worked out pretty good.

Customfab's right about the pvc though, pretty sure I used it when I installed the air system 25 years ago and no one has been killed or maimed yet (to my knowledge) but I do hate that stuff and it gets brittle over the years.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    In the military, there's picture diagrams for everything printed right next to all the controls. I appreciate when I see such done on bike equipment. Army-proofing works well vs idiots. Helps that the components are serviceable too. xD

I could've used this for when I lent out a floor pump, as the guy had no clue how to operate the lever. The pump head's gasket was mangled enough to not produce a good seal anymore.
    Though I personally don't think pump heads are that difficult to use, visuals would definitely be helpful. I do have to say that some pump heads such as the Twinhead (presta & schraeder) pump heads seem difficult for people to figure out. It's taken my 2 sons and my wife more than several tries to figure out how to lock the pump head on a valve and I've seen others struggle with the pump head in the same way.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    I think the levers on most pump chucks work reverse from what seem natural. Most would intuit you flip it up to take off and down to lock on, which is the reverse of most of the chucks I'm familiar with. Also, you need to hold the chuck down on the stem while locking it on and flipping the lever. This generally takes two hands and tends to lift and angle the chuck off the stem. Watching novices, this seems to be where they have trouble. If the lever worked the opposite way, you'd be pushing the chuck on the stem and squeezing the lever down with the same hand, which would be much more natural....IMO.
    Do the math.