mtbr member
    Sep 2012

looking for a seat bag and multi-tool

Hi,

I need to get a new bag and a new mutli-tool, because the bag that I have is old and I don't like my multi-tool.

Since I need both, I was looking at the Topeak Survival Tool Wedge II. Is it worth getting or should I buy a separate bag and multi-tool and if so, what do you suggest?

Topeak Survival Tool Wedge Pack II

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago and I came to the conclusion that the tools included in the survival wedge pack weren't all that great of a quality and not as complete as most multi tools i.e. no chain breaker. I ended up getting a medium wedge pack II which, I think, is the size of the survival pack. It is bigger than I expected, it easily carries a 29er tube, Hexus II, a snack, phone and an inhaler without expanding it.
    Buying the wedge pack and the Hexus was within a few bucks of the price of the Survival pack, included more tools(no patch kit) and has more room.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebumper View Post
    I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago and I came to the conclusion that the tools included in the survival wedge pack weren't all that great of a quality and not as complete as most multi tools i.e. no chain breaker. I ended up getting a medium wedge pack II which, I think, is the size of the survival pack. It is bigger than I expected, it easily carries a 29er tube, Hexus II, a snack, phone and an inhaler without expanding it.
    Buying the wedge pack and the Hexus was within a few bucks of the price of the Survival pack, included more tools(no patch kit) and has more room.
    Thanks, I just looked at the Hexus. The Survival Pack has a chain tool. Is a chain break different? I do like how the Hexus has everything together in one tool, though.

Found the Wedge Pack II and the Hexus on Amazon for about $50. Performance Bike has the Survival Pack on sale for $40, it's usually $60.

mtbr member
    Get an awesome strap and a Lenzye SV-10.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Puro Vida!
    I got the awesome strap after researching-didn't really want a bag. So for each bike put a tube in a ziplock, tire levers and a C02 cartridge and inflator. On my Pug I just put a Pedro's skewer tool as well. I usually have my camelback so the Strap holds what I need for my quick rides to STP or Kennedy. The awesome strap holds everything great!

mtbr member
    Just got my pink/green argyle Awesome Strap Race 2. Works perfect. Securely fastens a spare tube, tire patch, tire lever, and 16g CO2 under my seat.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    bump

Plays with tools
    I put all of the typical seat bag contents in a zipl-loc bag and stick it in my center jersey pocket. I've never been able to find a saddle bag that could hold enough to be worth while but wouldn't rub my thighs and ruin my bibs.