mtbr member
    May 2011

Looking for a multi-tool (for the trail) for around $25

Hello friends

I`m looking for a new multi-tool to take out riding and I`m wondering if someone can give me some advice. I`ve been looking at the Park Tool MTB-3 Rescue Tool. It has everything I want but I`ve read some reviews talking about it feeling cheap and that the chain tool is not too good.

Can I spend my $25 bucks elsewhere and get a better tool?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    No input on the park tool. Ive had my crank brother 17 for years though. Never let me down, solid, and within your budget. I doubt there are too many multi tools in the 25 dollar range that wont work for you though.

mtbr member
    You can find an Alien for not much more on eBay.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Topeak Hexus....love mine and it has a chain tool that works.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Topeak Hexus....love mine and it has a chain tool that works.
    +1 for the Hexus had cheapo Bell's from department stores,.. high end Crank Bro's,.. black somebody's and the Park tools one... nothing worked as well as the Hexus

I actually have one of the Crank Bro's unit's sitting in my tool box rusting away if anyone wants it... Oh.. but missing the chain tool head as it cracked and broke the 1st time I used it
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sounds like it's a race between the CB 17 and Topeak Hexus. I'll compare some reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Looking for a multi-tool (for the trail) for around $25

Topeak Alien II

Used it several times on the trail, always been great. Used the chain breaker a few times too with no problems.

One Gear
    I carry an AWS-10 Hex Wrench Set, one Quick Stick, and a chain breaker. $20 total

I tried a lot of different multi tools over the last 20 years and always found that they were too short or had some other pitfall from being an "all in one" tool. Each of the 3 tools is full sized, and does a great job when needed. These have been in my pack for the last 12 years and have served me well.

Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post

I use the Crank Brothers Multi5 for the very basic tools. ++ multi5 :: crankbrothers.com ++

They also have larger tools with more features and I feel confident that they all will last for a very long time.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Hello friends

I`m looking for a new multi-tool to take out riding and I`m wondering if someone can give me some advice. I`ve been looking at the Park Tool MTB-3 Rescue Tool. It has everything I want but I`ve read some reviews talking about it feeling cheap and that the chain tool is not too good.

A chain tool is one of the most important parts of a multi-tool. A good one will save your ride and a bad one will ruin your day. I really like the Topeak Hexus and Crank Bros 17. The Crank Bros has gotten a little rusty over the years, but it's still very solid and has never failed to perform. I had a Hexus for a while and it didn't feel nearly as solid as the Crank Bros, although it had a lot of tools.

thomllama's post verified that the Crank Bros tools develop surface rust. I've used the chain tool 5 or 6 times and never had a problem. .40AET's post is great advice if you don't need something small/all-in-one - one set of hex wrenches, a solid tire lever and a decent dedicated chain tool are plenty. I also carry a Leatherman micro with a knife, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

FWIW this dude broke his Hexus. A bit scary, and worth noting:

Customer Image Gallery for Topeak Hexus 16-Function Bicycle Tool

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post

FWIW this dude broke his Hexus. A bit scary, and worth noting:

Customer Image Gallery for Topeak Hexus 16-Function Bicycle Tool
    to break it like that he was using WAY more torque than is needed... not much on a bike that you can use a multi tool on needs more than 5nm torque and if you've ever used an actual torque wrench on it you'll see it WAY less than most of us apply by "feel" if you need more then you have other issues .... sorry.. but to break even a cheapo plastic Walmart tool you'd be apply too much
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    to break it like that he was using WAY more torque than is needed... not much on a bike that you can use a multi tool on needs more than 5nm torque and if you've ever used an actual torque wrench on it you'll see it WAY less than most of us apply by "feel" if you need more then you have other issues .... sorry.. but to break even a cheapo plastic Walmart tool you'd be apply too much
    Or the construction had a flaw. It didn't say how much torque he was using. Could've strictly been a void in the metal or something to that effect too.

I've never broken or damaged my Crank Bros tool. I have broken one from Topeak (the Mini). Sometimes you really do just need to apply some pressure, more than 5 Nm. When I broke the Topeak tool, I was trying to loosen a seatpost collar bolt that had rusted to the collar. The rider crashed and tweaked the seat, but we couldn't get it back to normal without loosening the collar. When I tried to unscrew the collar bolt, the bike owner's Topeak tool snapped. Luckily I had my Crank Bros tool in my bag and it worked fine.

The Hexus is great, but the tire levers suck. I still prefer Pedro's. I also prefer the Crank Bros chain tool, but that's just the feeling in hand. Aside from that, they are very similar tools and you can't really go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all your input. It seems like the Crank Brothers is a good choice. I just ordered one off eBay. Came to $27 with shipping to Canada. Not too bad.

Thanks again.

Mat