mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Lock-on grips slipping

I have ODI Rogues and recently swapped bars for some Deity Blacklabel bars. I'm having issues with the grips moving a bit on stuff like drops. I tighten the grips thinking they were just loose but that didn't solve the issue. This wasn't a problem on my OE bars. I think it's because the bars have a glossy finish in the grip area. Anyone deal with this before? I'm thinking of taking sandpaper and lightly scuffing the paint under the grips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    You could probably use carbon paste, it does a good job of giving seatposts/grips extra friction so they don't slip. Park tool supergrip compound is a pretty common one.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-S...hoC19QQAvD_BwE

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Workin for the weekend!
    Scuff the locks...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Scuff the locks...
    That's a good idea. I'll try that then use carbon paste if it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    I have the same Rogue/Diety combo, but I don't have any issues with anything clamped to the bars. I think scuffing is the way to go for you.
    AreBee

This place needs an enema
    Agreed on scuffing both the locks and the bars.

I've also resorted to putting down a layer or three of cyanoacrylate where the locks interface. Essentially builds it up to allow the locks something to wrap around. Let it cure between each layer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I ended up scuffing both the grip locks and the bars (no one will see under the grips so might as well). I haven't had any issues with the grips slipping since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    sort of funny, that smoothness is what makes non-locking grips not slip but does the opposite to lock-ons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    sort of funny, that smoothness is what makes non-locking grips not slip but does the opposite to lock-ons.
    Friction of hard materials is dependent on surface roughness. For rubber it's more complex.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Yes. Hysterical.

Mud Horse
    I've got a couple of sets of ODI Rogues fitted to bikes, both on CF bars. The first set I assembled the clamps to the central grip section dry, then used CF paste on the bars. I have had issues with the clamps loosening and also the centre section has developed a bit of play relative to the clamps as the plastic has worn. A bit of Loctite 243 on the clamp bolts and a re-torquing to the bar spec of 2.5 Nm sorted out the clamp looseness but there's still a tiny bit of play between the centre section and clamps. New centre sections will sort that out when the play gets too much.
    The second set of grips I used CF assembly paste both between the centre section and the clamps before assembly, and on the bars too. I didn't use Loctite on the bolts, but so far they're hanging in there and no play is evident.

I do tend to throw my bike around a lot, and often this involves some serious twisting on the grips so the poor things do get worked hard.
    ...and midgemagnet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Old school trick, hair spray on the bars.

Mud Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Old school trick, hair spray on the bars.
    Would that work with locking grips? I've certainly used it in the past with rubber and foam grips, though the Silvikrin brand I used would eventually dissolve in the wet and I'd have to go through the whole tedious process of remounting the grips. I converted to locking grips when I replaced my 2007 Race Face CF bars with newer Easton Haven CF bars and I could not for the life of me get my Ritchey rubber grips to stick. I'd have used contact adhesive if the bars weren't CF, but as that wasn't a sensible option I went through several locking grips before I found the ODI Rogues that suit me nicely.
    ...and midgemagnet.