mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Issue Shifting to from 9th to 8th Cog on 9 speed cassete

Issue Shifting to from 9th to 8th Cog on 9 speed cassete

I posted this in the wrong forum, please link to the other post to see all the stuff I have done.

Okay I got a new slx 9 speed derauiller and deore 9 speed shifters and 9 speed sram cassette. Everything was installed and worked great and is less then a month old. For some reason I am now having some hesitation shifting from the 9th cog to the 8th cog (second smallest).

From what I remember it shifted almost instantaneously (about a quarter of a pedal rotation). Now it seems to click and hesitate a bit but still shifts but it takes almost a full pedal rotation). I cant seem to figure it out. I have tried everything. At this point I even replaced the cable housing and housing end caps and installed new cable all together and still the issue persists. I took the hanger off as well and laid it on a piece of glass its perfectly straight no bends.

All other shifting is crisp and perfect it just that one shift. The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe there is a issue with the shifter itself and its not clicking and locking far enough to put the derailleur in the correct position.

One other thing to note. Turning the barrel adjuster counter clockwise seems to have no effect at all on this particular gear shift it does not make the shift quicker which I always remember it doing before. Even if I turn it further then it should be it still the same delay in the 9th to 8th cog shift. It definitely effects all the other gears though so I know its working.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    You say 9th to 8th cog. This means smallest up to second smallest? But you mention trigger, but 9to8 is a thumb shift?

You complete ask the initial adjustment following the shimano instructions including upper limit, lower limit, barrel adjustment.

Also, check your chain length is correct. If you change the amount of teeth, chain length may change.

You say barrel doesn't affect 9to8th, that's impossible. Try placing shifter on lowest 9th on shifter, and tightening barrel until it moves to 8th and aligned on 8th(shifter still on 9th). Then thumb shift and see of it goes clean to 7th.

Also, if you are new at this, include closeup pics of shifter, cable housing all the way to the derailleur, cassette and derailleur from multiple angles. Might help us catch something.
    I meant thumb shift I was just calling the shifter a trigger shifter. I have to push with my thumb to go from 9th to 8th like you mentioned.

Okay so I adjusted the barrel adjuster like you mentioned. I aligned it so 9 on the shifter was in sync with the 8th cog. When I shifted from 9-8 on the shifter it would shift from the 8th to 7th cog. The shift was crisp and 100% perfect every single time. I did it about 100 times.

So I guess this eliminates the shifter as being the problem. I'd assume if it was the shifter it would also do the same thing going from the 8th to 7th cog when I had it set like you mentioned.

Here are pics of the cables and such:
    Bike - a set on Flickr

Plays with tools
    There's been a lot of good advice, but I would check your H limit screw. If it's too far out you the RD is going to have to make a bigger jump. Basically it's got to go 110% to make that first shift, from there on out it's fine though because all of the error is at the start. Tighten the H limit screw until the chain barley drops into the hardest gear and then adjust the derailleur from there.

Hangers need to be checked on the bike. If the dropout is out then the hanger needs to be set to compensate for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Had the hanger adjusted bike shop said it barely needed to be corrected and it didn't prevent the issue from happening post them fixing it

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Will double check h screw thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well it turned out to be the cassette replaced with a shimano one and everything works great.