mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Integrated Headset Question

I'm still new to putting bikes together, so I have a question about integrated headsets.

I just got a frame that requires a campy standard integrated headset. A generic-bearing, with cane creek upper cover, came with the frame. This upper cover is the same diameter as the top of the headtube. I wanted to add a little more fun, so I picked up a bmx headset with stainless bearings that fits perfectly. The only thing is that the upper cover is a smaller diameter than the top of the headtube by about 3mm. I tried a cane creek IS42 and the top cover is about the same diameter as the bmx one. I can't find any fun ones that are the same diameter as the one that came with my frame.

Is it going to be a problem with the top cover being a little smaller in diameter than the diameter of the headtube?

Also, any hints on where to put the grease when I install my fork and headset (it is a carbon frame)?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The only place that should have grease is where metal on metal touch, so just the bearings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the grease answer.

Does anybody have an answer for the upper cover diameter question? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I dont see it being a problem as long as everything turns smoothly. Without a picture I could only guess that maybe you have a bike that has a larger, semi-integrated spacer and now your using a standard spacer? A Giant frame perhaps?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a Commencal Super 4. Here are some pictures with the top cover being slightly smaller than the headtube diameter. The reason that I am wondering is that this is my first integrated headset and want to get it right.

inner peace to make peace
    if the integrated headsets are hard to replace than they're not worth the fuss. Buy a C. King or equally well made headset and be done with it. if the time comes standard headsets are easy to replace.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).