• 04-24-2010
    Evo.
    Installing a threadless headset without a press?
    Is there any way to install a threadless headset with a bearing cup press? Or do I have to spend $120 for the park HHP-2?

Thanks
  • 04-24-2010
    Schlitz Domino
  • 04-24-2010
    savagemann
    The best way to do it is bring your favorite mechanic a 12 pack of Fat Tire Ale. Usually gets it in right the first time, and quick!
  • 04-26-2010
    derockus
    Both are good suggestions. Google "DIY Headset Press" and you'll see numerous examples of homebrewed designs that work great.
  • 04-26-2010
    Zackb911
    I did it last night with a barbell set... You know the ones with the plates and the threaded nut that screws them down. I saw it on a youtube video and it worked perfectly for installing my crane creek S-3 and it was my first headset install at that!
  • 04-26-2010
    Zackb911
  • 04-26-2010
    Ratt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackb911

I like it.
  • 04-27-2010
    crux
    Turned a press fiting with the lathe keeping everything inline then picked up a big bolt from HD or Lowes. Works every time. As the standards are ever changing I just keep making new tools.
  • 04-27-2010
    suprcivic
    i didn't bother clicking on all the links, i'm sure they all explain the same thing, but my DIY headset press is way simple and effective.

i have an 10" piece of all-thread (threaded bar), a couple of big washers that are bigger than the headset cups, and a nut on either end.

just be careful that it presses the cups straight down.
  • 04-27-2010
    bvibert
    Quote:

Pretty cool, especially if you happen to have a weight set like that hanging around.
  • 04-29-2010
    jreed3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by suprcivic
    i didn't bother clicking on all the links, i'm sure they all explain the same thing, but my DIY headset press is way simple and effective.

i have an 10" piece of all-thread (threaded bar), a couple of big washers that are bigger than the headset cups, and a nut on either end.

just be careful that it presses the cups straight down.

I used the same thing...works like a charm!
  • 05-26-2010
    customfab
    Quote:

Originally Posted by savagemann
    The best way to do it is bring your favorite mechanic a 12 pack of Fat Tire Ale. Usually gets it in right the first time, and quick!

might be done quick if you actually show up with good beer
  • 05-27-2010
    MikeDee
    Quote:

That's neat, but I wonder if there is enough leverage to push the cups all the way in.
  • 05-27-2010
    dysfunction
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeDee
    That's neat, but I wonder if there is enough leverage to push the cups all the way in.

it's a screw, same as a press. Should be.
  • 05-27-2010
    swift
    A hammer and short length of 2x4.
    Not the best option but it's certainly a way to install without a press.

For the record, I suggest a press.
  • 05-27-2010
    jtmartino
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swift
    A hammer and short length of 2x4.
    Not the best option but it's certainly a way to install without a press.

For the record, I suggest a press.

I either use that method or just a rubber mallet. I've used the rubber mallet technique on probably 20+ bikes in the past two years, and I've never once had a single problem with warping of the cups.

FWIW, I have a home-made headset press that works as well, but it just takes a lot longer. :D
  • 06-01-2010
    Wallzee
    Go the all thread and plate option, turns out to be a handy bit of kit to have kicking around.

I've got a big ol' coarse thread bolt from a WA1200 Komatsu Loader (probably M24 or larger) with suitably large (i.e. massive) washers.
    That works beautifully because of the coarse thread, but not everyone is privileged enough to have a minesite workshop at their disposal.... ;)
  • 06-08-2010
    segura
    I just ordered the HHP-2 and moved on . . . wasn't comfortable jacking with a $2000+ carbon frame :(
  • 06-08-2010
    Birdman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evo.
    Is there any way to install a threadless headset with a bearing cup press? Or do I have to spend $120 for the park HHP-2?

Thanks

No, you can spend $70 (or less depending on the sale) on the Nashbar press

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_200498

or $55 on the Pricepoint press.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/146...-Cup-Press.htm

I've done the long-bolt/nut/washer thing, but a real headset press (even the Nashbar one) is much faster.

JMJ
  • 10-21-2012
    rage-day
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks for all the bits of advice here guys, I went for a threaded bar option and the pipe cut crossways for the removal tool, worked an absolute treat!

From my experience in order to ensure that the removal tool works best, bend the four quarters out slightly, place it in the head tube and see which quarters are in the right place and which ones aren't then remove and bend the relevant quarter out further. This will ensure that you get equal contact all around the bearing cup and it will come out cleanly.

Here's the kit:
  • 10-22-2012
    logbiter
    you'll want to drill a hole at the end of each slot in the pipe, or it'll want to keep splitting.

I made a few of these out of copper pipe back in the day!:thumbsup:
  • 10-22-2012
    rage-day
    Another good refinement, thanks Logbiter :)
  • 10-22-2012
    reptilezs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    might be done quick if you actually show up with good beer

we have a customer that will without fail bring donut holes everytime he comes in the shop. guess who gets their bike the next day during the summer?
  • 10-24-2012
    Palapapapa
    I did it with three of those home depot clamps. The kind that use a trigger mechanism to close. One on each side and one on the front. 5min later it was done. I couldn't seem to get the threaded rod to work quite right. However, the barbell trick sounds like a winner.
  • 10-30-2012
    Shark
    Threaded rod with washers here, works great and was free