Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Installing a threadless headset without a press?

64K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  bing! 
#1 ·
Is there any way to install a threadless headset with a bearing cup press? Or do I have to spend $120 for the park HHP-2?

Thanks

#20 ·
Thanks for all the bits of advice here guys, I went for a threaded bar option and the pipe cut crossways for the removal tool, worked an absolute treat!

From my experience in order to ensure that the removal tool works best, bend the four quarters out slightly, place it in the head tube and see which quarters are in the right place and which ones aren't then remove and bend the relevant quarter out further. This will ensure that you get equal contact all around the bearing cup and it will come out cleanly.

Here's the kit:

Attachments

#5 ·
I did it last night with a barbell set... You know the ones with the plates and the threaded nut that screws them down. I saw it on a youtube video and it worked perfectly for installing my crane creek S-3 and it was my first headset install at that!

#9 ·
i didn't bother clicking on all the links, i'm sure they all explain the same thing, but my DIY headset press is way simple and effective.

i have an 10" piece of all-thread (threaded bar), a couple of big washers that are bigger than the headset cups, and a nut on either end.

just be careful that it presses the cups straight down.

#28 ·
same here, but i did a bit of overkill: I cut out some half inch plate and drilled it, then added washer and bolts. cost me zero, i got all the materials at my old job.

but yeah make sure the rod is parallel to the HT.

#11 ·
suprcivic said:
i didn't bother clicking on all the links, i'm sure they all explain the same thing, but my DIY headset press is way simple and effective.

i have an 10" piece of all-thread (threaded bar), a couple of big washers that are bigger than the headset cups, and a nut on either end.

just be careful that it presses the cups straight down.
I used the same thing...works like a charm!

#16 ·
swift said:
A hammer and short length of 2x4.
Not the best option but it's certainly a way to install without a press.

For the record, I suggest a press.
I either use that method or just a rubber mallet. I've used the rubber mallet technique on probably 20+ bikes in the past two years, and I've never once had a single problem with warping of the cups.

FWIW, I have a home-made headset press that works as well, but it just takes a lot longer. :D

#17 ·
Go the all thread and plate option, turns out to be a handy bit of kit to have kicking around.

I've got a big ol' coarse thread bolt from a WA1200 Komatsu Loader (probably M24 or larger) with suitably large (i.e. massive) washers.
That works beautifully because of the coarse thread, but not everyone is privileged enough to have a minesite workshop at their disposal.... ;)

#19 ·
Evo. said:
Is there any way to install a threadless headset with a bearing cup press? Or do I have to spend $120 for the park HHP-2?

Thanks
No, you can spend $70 (or less depending on the sale) on the Nashbar press

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_125105_-1_201492_10000_200498

or $55 on the Pricepoint press.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14...Tools/Sette-Torx-ST-107-Bearing-Cup-Press.htm

I've done the long-bolt/nut/washer thing, but a real headset press (even the Nashbar one) is much faster.

JMJ

#26 ·
Got by with a Rubber Mallet.

Just last night, I messed around with the washers, nuts, and threaded bar for about 30 minutes. Didn't get anywhere. Rod kept creeping and scratching the inside and top of the headset.

Grabbed the rubber mallet.

Just 4-5 whacks and it was done. The sound changed in pitch when the cups were seated.

Your results may vary. I can't recommend it - I can just give witness that it worked.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I wasn't doing this on a chi-chi carbon frame with a Chris King headset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.