since 4/10/2009

Improvising grip removal

I set about to swap shifters on my hardtail today. The stock Deore's were no good anymore. I had a set of OEM takeoff LX pods to swap them with. First thing was to pull the grips...just some basic rubber Yetis, but they were on SOLID. I racked my brain trying to figure out what to do about them and then it hit me: CANNED AIR. You know, the stuff you use to clean electronics?

I pried a little with the flat screwdriver to make a gap between my brake lever and the grip, then I put the little straw under the grip and in a couple puffs of air, the grip was off! It worked quite well instead of an air compressor. I'll be remembering that trick when I upgrade my wife's bike after she opens all her presents on Christmas. I'll be getting rid of the crappy 8spd integrated levers her bike came with in favor of newer LX shifters and some Avid brake levers. She's already got disc brakes (BB7's), so she's getting a nice new 9spd cassette to go along with her new shifters.

Mostly what I want to gain from this is a smoother brake lever action. There was nothing inherently wrong with her shifting before...just a heavy cassette and the junky shifters/brake levers. But to upgrade brake levers, I had to do the shifters, too. And doing that meant a new cassette and chain. At least the derailleurs are 9spd compatible and the wheelset will fit the cassette.

It's about showing up.

Take it easy, Romeo

Sweet talking your gal like that ............

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've got LX's on both my bikes, OEM equiped and they work fine.

Old man on a bike
    Not currently having an air compressor (long story) I've been using the canned air like you did, a buddy's suggestion who was into computers when we were overhauling his bike, but since I use lockon grips hadn't thought of the grip use. Does it work as well on reinstalling them?

I've been using the canned air to dry cleaned bearings, that sort of thing...gotta get another compressor one of these days...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Stay thirsty my friends
    I found a can of contact cleaner works better than the canned air, makes em slippery and they slide right off with no residue...also makes em slide right on and stick hard when it evaporates.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Not currently having an air compressor (long story) I've been using the canned air like you did, a buddy's suggestion who was into computers when we were overhauling his bike, but since I use lockon grips hadn't thought of the grip use. Does it work as well on reinstalling them?

I've been using the canned air to dry cleaned bearings, that sort of thing...gotta get another compressor one of these days...
    I didn't use the canned air to reinstall. I used some of my wife's spray hair gel for that.

Members who have read this thread: 0