mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Idiot "mechanic" needs help - Hadley bearing replacement

Idiot question: How do I get the bearings in and out of hadley hubs? What special tool do I need?

Longer version:
    -So, I want to replace a notchy bearing in my 20mm Hadley Front Hub.
    -Called Balle Racing, got the download on how to do it (sounded simple, I thought), got the parts.
    -Got this far (see pics) and now I'm not sure how to get the second bearing out (and then the new ones in!).
    -I don't have a press, and in fact I wouldn't know what one looked like if it bit me on the ass. Just some random homeowner tools and basic bike tools. Tapped the first one out with a soft hammer.
    -I got as far as jamming a 3/4 inch box wrench in there and was about to start tapping it with a hammer, but thought I'd turn to the mtbr expertise rather than roach my hub out of impatience.
    -My instructions from Hadley were pretty detailed on all parts, except for this step ("just take the bearings out. use a socket if you don't have a press" or someting like that).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dumbass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Idiot "mechanic" needs help - Hadley bearing replacement-img_0567.jpg  

Idiot "mechanic" needs help - Hadley bearing replacement-img_0570.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You've got the bearing what is known as 'good and stuck'. You will likely damage the hubshell if you try to straighten it out, so I would get a punch and try tapping it down and out the shell. Not being familiar with that particular hub, I do not know if they intend for you to remove both bearings from the same side of the hub (ie, there is a lip on one side).

A serviceable press can be made from a long carriage bolt, nut, and two washers that push on the outer race of the bearing. It is far from ideal, as it will attempt to skate around, but it will work if you take your time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    I ended up giving up, and took it to the LBS, who got 'em in and out using a fat (35 or 36 mm) socket...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Can anyone give me directions on how to tap out the bearings on a Hadley front hub (20mm through axle)?

I unscrewed the "end pieces" from each other, then I unscrewed the "lock rings" (the things with the pin holes in them) on each side of the hub. Now I see a bearing on each side of the hub, and there is a 'spacer'(or tube) between them. How do I tap out the bearings?

Do I drive one bearing towards the middle of the hub until the bearing on the opposite side comes out, then remove the 'spacer'/tube, then drive the remaining bearing back towards its side of the hub?

I posted some pictures of where I'm at here:

servicing Hadley front hub

Is there any point in trying to grease those bearings? If I dab grease on the blue surface will it get into the bearing?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A big socket, 35 or 36, works to tap the bearings in and out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I need more detail than "tap the bearings out". For me, the phrase "tap the bearings out" is equivalent to the phrase "xyyx sedkfef ttelske".

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use just about anything to tap a bearing out since they are normaly screwed anyways, to repalce it I use a threaded rod , some nuts and washers. This is just like a bearing tool but cheaper and pulls the bearings in evenly.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "tap the brng out" means to use anything that fits (typically a drift or punch, screwdriver will work for looser fit bearings), pushed though the opposite side, and LIGHTLY tap it with a hammer, moving the drift around the bearing to avoid getting it cocked in the hole.

Do I drive one bearing towards the middle of the hub until the bearing on the opposite side comes out, then remove the 'spacer'/tube, then drive the remaining bearing back towards its side of the hub?
    no, the spacer should leave a lip on the bearing, you can get through the spacer with a screwdriver and rest on the lip, tap lightly, and work around in a circle to keep the bearing straight in it's hole. Don't do this till you have new bearings in-hand.

Is there any point in trying to grease those bearings? If I dab grease on the blue surface will it get into the bearing?
    yes and no. Greasing a bearing that isn't shot will extend it's life. some bearings come from the factory dry, they need to be greased on installation.

No, that blue ring is a seal, so greasing what you see won't get into the bearing. Use a knife to GENTLY pry under the lip and pop it out, grease with a syringe/plunger type grease gun, replace the seal. The hub seals are intended to keep dirt away from this seal.

Finish Line Grease Injection Pump Gun | Finish Line | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I know you already got it done, but here is a bearing press I made specifically for Hadley hubs. Both bearings come out of the drive side.