mtbr member
    May 2007

I dislike the Topeak Mountain Morph, help me make it better

I need help finding something better, I dislike my Mountain Morph.

The hose connection point, the handle, and presta head are so aggrivating...

The hose connection on mine keeps coming off. The screw-on cap isn't adequate in keeping the hose on. Is a wire clamp the only solution?

The handle likes to pinch my fingers. Horrible design, not ergonomic, and not fast. Not sure what to do about it.

The presta connection on the head sucks. It will bend valve cores very quickly because the head doesn't go on the stem far enough for a secure interface. The hose is too short, don't see why they didn't use a longer one on the largest frame pump they have, hose doesn't weigh much. If you ever burp a tubeless tire or get a particularly nasty thorn where the tire must be oriented in a certain direction, the hose simply isn't long enough to set the pump on the ground. The stiffness of the hose also adds unnecessary pressure on the valve stem.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I think this is your solution:

Most of your complaints are that a portable pump isn't as easy to use as a floor pump. Well frame pumps don't get much closer to floor pumps than what you've got, so you might as well strap one of those to your camelbak.

Wow that picture is way bigger than I thought it was going to be.

Edit: There, that's a little better size.
    Last edited by ShadowsCast; 02-21-2009 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow, 1536px 2048px is a huge image, haha. Please edit or remove that to fix the word wrapping caused by such a large pic.

A full pump is way too heavy. I'm just aiming to modify the mountain morph since it provides me with a pump that fits on my frame nicely.

All I really want to do is somehow modify the pump handle into a better shape, and put on a longer hose with better pump head. Does anyone know if longer hose is available? My Topeak floor pump hose doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i think the point was more that you're expecting a lot out of a small portable pump meant for emergencies.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My pump has seen an unfortunate amount of emergency use, whether it be my bike or someone elses. I occasionally run over a thorn large enough to make the tire go flat a couple times before it will even seal.

I'm fine with more pumping required, but I'm not fine with busting my knuckles using that silly pump handle, or such a short hose not allowing me to place the pump on the ground when trying to get the tire to seal. I could probably live with the crappy valve if the hose was longer.

Bonus points if it is a small diameter hose with greater flexibility.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834
    My pump has seen an unfortunate amount of emergency use, whether it be my bike or someone elses. I occasionally run over a thorn large enough to make the tire go flat a couple times before it will even seal.

I'm fine with more pumping required, but I'm not fine with busting my knuckles using that silly pump handle, or such a short hose not allowing me to place the pump on the ground when trying to get the tire to seal. I could probably live with the crappy valve if the hose was longer.
    good thing you weren't around in the 90's when they didn't have handles or hoses at all. in fact, you squatted next to your wheel with your back to the trail and looked to all the passersby as though you were masturbating in your spandex.

seriously, if you keep getting such a terribly high use out of the pump, change your riding style or your other equipment. but that pump has been largely successful in its role. i'm guessing there's a reason for that.

i'm not trying to discourage your intent. i'm just saying that you're in a very, VERY, [SIZE="5"]VERY[/SIZE] small minority in finding fault with the product. by all means, set yourself to the task of making a better one. i highly doubt there's much to do in making the existing pump better.

Use tubes instead of tubeless? Hold the pump in the air instead of trying to put it on the ground? Pretty well designed pump, though, good luck on modding it...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    i gotta say i love my mountain morph, its the one everybody seems to use when they have a flat and are riding with me

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    good thing you weren't around in the 90's when they didn't have handles or hoses at all. in fact, you squatted next to your wheel with your back to the trail and looked to all the passersby as though you were masturbating in your spandex.
    haha

That's fair, but people weren't riding on the hellish thorny trails I'm on now back in the 90s. It doesn't really get worse than the part of Texas I'm in, or certain areas in Arizona. Can't go 7 miles here before flatting in a slime tube. Tubeless is a requirement.

The trail is littered with sharp dry tumbleweeds, mini-trees adorned with 2-3 inch deciduous thorns, tons of cactus, fairly sharp rocks, etc etc. Riding here perfected my sealant technique, since stan's or slime alone usually aren't adequate. Though I've refined my tubeless setup to a science, I still get thorns/broken branches that will give me a flat once every 30-45 miles. Have you tried re-inflating a tubeless setup with a Mountain Morph?

I do feel the Mountain Morph is the best choice in its category, but I'm ready to see that category evolve into something more useful to tubeless riders. That, and the ergonomics issue presented by having a short hose and floppy handle.

Maybe Topeak might find your problem challenging enough to help out?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I like my Mountain Morph, but you know you can buy a different pump, right?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    I like my Mountain Morph, but you know you can buy a different pump, right?
    Right, so suggest one.