mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I am looking for a rare tool

I am looking for a Kingsbridge bottom bracket cup tool. I have one at he shop and I want one for home, even though I will never use it.

Kingsbridge Bottom Bracket Fixed Cup Removal Tool | eBay
    I don't do drugs. I am drugs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    evt makes one

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sweet. I just ordered one

Plays with tools
    Why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Why?

I worked at a shop that had one and it was pretty handy for removing hopelessly frozen fixed cups, I suppose it's only of any use on antiques now though.

Plays with tools
    I know what it's for and why it's better, I was curious why on earth he wanted one. Especially since the OP said he was pretty sure it would never get used. I don't remember the last time I needed to remove a fixed cup, seized or not. For that matter I don't remember the last time I had a bike in the shop that had a square taper bottom bracket of any style.

I'm really glad the guys at EVT bother making these tools, so I don't have to!

mtbr member
    I know what it's for and why it's better, I was curious why on earth he wanted one. Especially since the OP said he was pretty sure it would never get used. I don't remember the last time I needed to remove a fixed cup, seized or not. For that matter I don't remember the last time I had a bike in the shop that had a square taper bottom bracket of any style.
    Every week! Cyclus make one, in a different style, with flats that clamp onto the cup. A great design but made of terrible material which deforms with heavy use.

One for Abbey Tools this year?

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I want one because I can get one.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod View Post
    Every week! Cyclus make one, in a different style, with flats that clamp onto the cup. A great design but made of terrible material which deforms with heavy use.

One for Abbey Tools this year?

- Joel
    I'm not going to waste time developing tools for components that the industry abandoned two plus decades ago. My thought is that 99.9% of the people that need this tool already have it. No sense in me making them to sell a couple dozen a year.

mtbr member
    I'm not going to waste time developing tools for components that the industry abandoned two plus decades ago. My thought is that 99.9% of the people that need this tool already have it. No sense in me making them to sell a couple dozen a year.
    I know man, just joking! Your market certainly seems to be modern stuff which is appropriate, given it's 2014. I'll have a machinist make up an improvement on the cyclus tool.

- joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefat1981 View Post
    I want one because I can get one.
    added rep for proper attitude towards tools.

Abbey should be very careful not alienate potential customers who want a wood handled pedal wrench "...because I can get one"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    added rep for proper attitude towards tools.

Abbey should be very careful not alienate potential customers who want a wood handled pedal wrench "...because I can get one"
    Confused what you mean by this. I, too, am a tool hoarder, but CustomFab's main client base is mechanics (much like EVT and the late Morningstar Tools)...there's no reason for him to fabricate something that he would need to charge an exorbitant amount for. I see a bike with a fixed cup come running through the shop I'm at maybe 2-3 times a year. Maybe every third bike needs to have the bottom bracket replaced, and of those, maybe one in four people actually want to pay for it. [Extremely] generously, that's a sub 1% usage of a tool that can usually be solved with a few large washers, a bolt, wrench, and a mallet. It's not nice logic, but the bikes that those are on (now) tend not to be worth fixing, or if they are, the customer usually doesn't want to pay for it.

I don't think he was being particularly snooty--it would be like going to a barbershop and asking why they won't use some leeches on you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What!?! Barbershops don't use leech anymore?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    ...there's no reason for him to fabricate something that he would need to charge an exorbitant amount for.
    Team Issue Hammer - Abbey Bike Tools

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You seem to be cherry picking something to support your point. A hammer is used almost every day, whereas a fixed cup removal tool (again, used only for one thing!) is not. It wouldn't even come up on an extended list of tools for something like a charity ride.

Do I need it? No, I'm not traveling with my tools, so a $60 Wiha suffices just fine, the same as a bench vise works for removing a fixed cup, as much as I need to do it.

mtbr member
    There are lots of $200 titanium hammers at building sites, pros like nice tools.

No doubt the fixed cup tool would be a dumb one for Abbey to make, not his crowd and not much of a market, but I think it's still a viable tool for some. If you're working a lot with old beaters or pricey vintage stuff there are many times when nothing else will do, except a cobbled together equivalent.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    So what your saying is that he makes an expensive tool for a VERY specialized market when it can be had from other makers anyways?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are people out there making things like ti hammers, but I can't even think of the last time I used a hammer at work. When I do use one it for jobs like removing headset cups, or something similar, where I just need something hard and heavy to smack things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ran across these guys not long ago. Not Kingsbridge, but if you wanna pull an antique apart safely...
    BB Fixed Cup Tool for English 3 Speeds

mtbr member
    here I am!

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!