Sep 2005

I am in desperate need of Air Compressor Presta Tubeless Help

I have this air compressor

3 Gallon Air Compressor - 1/3 HP, 100 PSI, Oilless

I have this kit

20 Piece Air Compressor Starter Kit

I also have a simple presta/schrader adapter like this

Amazon.com: Slime 23042 Presta to Schrader Valve Adapter: Automotive

I have read through many threads on here about getting things to work. After many, many attempts, I never have any success and always go to the gas stations and use their compressor with my adapter and works like a charm.

I seem to not be very mechanically inclined when it comes to this and need some simple but thorough advice on what I need to do to make this finally work for me

What is the most effective, easiest, and reasonably cheap way to inflate my tubeless using the compressor I have already? I need the whole thing spelled out to me apparently since I cant seem to get this figured out.

Xtreme Lounger
    I would suggest assembling the parts as I've shown below. Use the teflon tape to wrap all male (external) threads with almost 3 [EDIT] complete wraps in a clockwise direction as you face the end of the external threads. If you wrap it the other way (CCW) the tape will want to unscrew and bunch up as you turn it in.

Start by inserting the numbers - 1 goes into 1, etc. Then do the letters.
    [EDIT] Wrap both ends 1 & 2 before inserting 1 into 1 - it will be easier to wrap before assembly.

To actually use the air chuck, connect the following pairs of parts using the quick connectors (push them in until they click):
    Male-B into female-2
    Male-C into female-A

To unlock the parts, pull the knurled sleeve back on parts A or 2 while pulling the male end out.

[EDIT] Make sure that you have your browser window wide enough to see that D is on the end of the blow gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am in desperate need of Air Compressor Presta Tubeless Help-airparts.jpg  

Last edited by steiny; 04-27-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Xtreme Lounger
    Just some notes and clarification -

When assembling your line/tools using the quick connections, you may have to pull back on the knurled sleeve a bit while pushing the male end in until it clicks (or stays in place - you'll know when it's in or not). Some female connectors allow you to just push the male end in while others do not have that feature.

The teflon tape (on the blue/white role) is used to "treat" the ends of the threads to serve as a sort of "locking compound". Use too much (threads are too thick) and you won't get enough insertion. Use too little and the male connector will bottom out easily and air will leak out around the threads. You want the system to be air tight when everything is connected and you pressurize the line out to the attached tool.

The gun attachment (end is E) is not needed for tire inflation. That attachment is used when you want to just blow air in a controlled fashion using your thumb to work the trigger.

The reducer (ends E/F) does not need to be taped when screwing into the gun - a little bit of air leakage can be tolerated.

All 5 tips to the right of the reducer can be used one at a time by screwing them into the reducer (end F). The rubber tipped one is great for using under grips so that you can blow air to remove the grip and not scratch the handlebars up (like you would using the one I labeled with F). The silver one next to it is good for a wide burst of air while the narrow brass one (F) is good for very close work (like blowing solvent out of cartridge bearings). The two needles are used for inflating sports equipment (ie basketball, soccer ball, etc).

It is pretty much universal to have the female quick coupling (A and 2) on the "exit" end and have the male connectors (silver parts with ends B, C, D) on the "input" side. The last thing to plug in should have a male connector. This will allow you to couple your equipment to other sources and/or tools.

I hope you got directions with that compressor. If you've never operated one before, you need to know the basics or you'll give yourself a heart attack/wet your pants if you get a full-open condition with 100+ PSI in the tank.
    Last edited by steiny; 04-27-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: bit about pulling knurled sleeve to insert tools

mtbr member
    What pressure do you have the regulator on the compressor set to?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Pressure is key. Crank up the PSI setting on your compressor way above your intended PSI in your tire so you get the most airflow possible. I set mine to about 80 PSI. Then just make sure to stop filling when the tire starts feeling right. You can adjust the final pressure with a floor pump after you get your tile sealed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Take the valve core out of the tubeless valve.

Use E from the nice picture above with the rubber tip on it, hold it on the coreless valve real tight and let loose with high pressure until the bead seals.

Stop before the tire blows off the rim, put your finger over the valve core real fast to keep the air in and put the valve core back in and screw it in real fast without losing all the air and unseating the bead, then put the presta/schrader adapter on your valve and use C to inflate to proper psi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    Take the valve core out of the tubeless valve.

Use E from the nice picture above with the rubber tip on it, hold it on the coreless valve real tight and let loose with high pressure until the bead seals.

Stop before the tire blows off the rim, put your finger over the valve core real fast to keep the air in and put the valve core back in and screw it in real fast without losing all the air and unseating the bead, then put the presta/schrader adapter on your valve and use C to inflate to proper psi.
    This is what I needed. Worked like a charm. No more driving down to the gas station in frustration. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Talk about timely... I was just looking at the same air compressor and accessories tonight after a failed attempt with a floor pump. I love the forums for this!
    SE Racing Stout 29er