Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hub adjustment, dont know what to do

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sunstealth 
#1 ·
I need to adjust my hub and i dont seem to figure out what to do. What I mean is the wheel is offsided to the right and that lead to the disc rubbing on the inner side of the brake caliper. on the disc side I have around 2mm of axle showing the right side of the hub has around 10 mm of axle showing, I have been trying and trying but i cant achieve what i need ie wheel centered and disc centered in the caliper

please help me

(ps the wheel had a solid axle and it's been converted to quick release by a bike shop when i didnt had the tools to work properly and the arrangement seems odd)

#6 · (Edited)
Sounds like the caliper needs adjustment not the hub, the dish of the wheel should not affect the disc rub in the brake caliper. I think you need to adjust the lateral position of the caliper not just the brake pad. This is of course assuming the disc is true and round. I would loosen the caliper body bolts and reposition the caliper. Sometimes you can do this by spinning the wheel and adjust the pads so they are even in the body. Then pull the lever to set it against the disc and tighten down the bolts. Now readjust the pads. This is what I do for my bb7s. Do you have the manual for your brake? Adjustment instructions should be included.

I just reread your post and the axle should be even on both sides. The dropouts sit on that axle, it should be adjusted properly by the bike shop that did the work. I don't think that the replacing the axle would affect the position of the disc though. A pic always helps, it can inform us as to the man. of the brake. I am familiar with the Avids, but there are most likely quirks in the pad adjustment for other makes.

#7 ·
I am assuming that you have taken the axle apart, it should have a cone nut and lock nut on each side. Those need to be freed from each other and using the cone nuts center the axle, then using the locking nuts lock them securly in place, making sure that the cone nuts didnt move any. ( or you will either have a losse or tight hub). Also depending on what type of fork you have, you will get some type of "fork flex" if you over tighted the QR skewer. Make sure the bike is saddle side up and install the wheel while its on the ground, making sure it is straight in the drop outs. Secure the QR make sure that it only starts to tighten up after rotated it a little over half way. then recheck the rotor. if it still rubs, loosen the two securing bolts holding the calpier in place. Spin the wheel again, if it stops rubbing then you need to adjust the caliper. while the 2 bolts are loose, squeeze the lever a couple time while rotating the wheel. Apply pressure to the brake lever, stopping the wheel, then tighten both calpier bolts. recheck. If you still have rotor rub, check the trueness of the rotor.

#8 ·
The axle should be equal on each side, but that won't affect where it sits in the fork. If the wheel is dished correctly and the tire is sitting evenly in the fork then i wouldn't bother trying to adjust the hub, which would involve taking it apart and moving shims around if there is any. If the axle is shifted so much that it's protruding out if the drop out then take it back to the shop and have them fix it, then never go back there. Your best bet is to try to realign the caliper, you may need to get creative if it's already at the end of it's adjustment. I've slightly elongated holes and trimmed brackets before to get everything just right. Another option is to shim the rotor, but you need to make sure it's shimmed evenly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.