mtbr member
    Dec 2004

how to stabilize feel of xtr970 pedals

Hey everyone...

Was hoping for some advice/input here...

My xtr970 pedals are about 5 years old as my shimano mtn bike shoes are. Time for new shoes and pedals right? So I bought the xtr980 pedals and new shimano mtn bike shoes (SH-M088). Despite the larger contact patch of the 980s, my shoe tread did not have good contact with the pedals so my feet dont' feel stable. I got rid of the 980s and went back to my 970s. These feel a bit more stable but not much. I don't want to get new shoes as I just got these. Any advice on how to make this feel a bit more stable? I was thinking of spreading a very thin layer of some type of liquid rubber on either the shoe tread or pedal body to take up some slack. Any advice greatly appreciated...thanks, matt

I just thought that maybe it's the cleat. My new cleats are SH-51...old cleats are SH-56. I will get some new SH-56 cleats and see if that snugs things up at all...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You could go with doing the rubber thing, but...

Here's the skinny on clipless pedals: in order to float on the pedal, the cleat has to be the only thing contacting the retention plates (though some pedals advertise a large platform, it does not really come into play with 'cycling' style shoes when clipped in). In order, then, to stiffen up the interface, you need to stiffen up the platform (ie: your shoe).

The other thing you could be feeling is the cleat being squirrely in too-loose-of-tension on the pedal. Crank the tension up and see if it helps.

A deep tread may help with feeling stable, but will affect your ability to clip in and out.

mtbr member
    The SH-56 cleats are multi release, while the SH-51 cleats are not. Is the spring tension set the same?