mtbr member

How much to spend on a quality used bike repair stand?

I am shopping and would like to know what a good deal is. 50% off?

Plays with tools
    Are you willing to get a low quality stand because you got a better deal on it? Find the stand you want, then go find the deal on it.

mtbr member
    I spent a few months looking for a good deal on a used stand but ended up buying new. Because they are so simple and don't go obsolete, there isn't much of a discount on used ones. I found that the lower cost stands (think Park PS-9) tend to have the least discount so you're not going to find many $110 stands for $55. Instead, you'll find $250 stands for $175. At that price range, I decided to go with a new stand at the best discount I could find. I think I paid $145 for a new Feedback Sport Mechanic stand.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member

Re: How much to spend on a quality used bike repair stand?

What exactly differentiates a high end from low end stand?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Materials in construction (durability and weight) and stability, mostly. What makes a good permanent stand (heavy/hard mounted baseplate) tends not to make a good portable stand (small footprint, folding). That said, the higher quality portable stands (such as Feedback's) can be just as stable. The price is reflective of this.

Also, decide what kind of clamping system you want on your stand--lever style clamp, micro-adjust clamp (works like a bench vise) or fork mounted, bottom bracket supported. Bear in mind with the last version that, while contact with the bike is to a minimum, you would likely need to buy an adapter to mount the fork to a cheaper stand, if you are running some sort of thru-axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    What exactly differentiates a high end from low end stand?
    Adjustability is a big differentiator as well. Feedback's least expensive stands looks just like the one I bought but the height can't be adjusted. At 5' 6" I felt being able to adjust the height might be important.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    or fork mounted, bottom bracket supported. Bear in mind with the last version that, while contact with the bike is to a minimum, you would likely need to buy an adapter to mount the fork to a cheaper stand, if you are running some sort of thru-axle.
    Park makes a thru axle retrofit for their fork mount stands. 1728-TA, with dropper posts becoming so common it's only a matter of time before these style stands become as common with MTB'ers as they are with road race mechanics.

I've got 3 stands and I'll say that the feedback stand is the most versatile hands down.