mtbr member
    Feb 2006

How good are the tire levers on the Topeak Alien II?

The tire levers on a lot of multi-tools really suck. Anyone used the ones on the Alien II? How are they?

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TLud
    The tire levers on a lot of multi-tools really suck. Anyone used the ones on the Alien II? How are they?
    I guess it depends on what your expectations are. I think for people like me who can usually get tires off by hand it works just fine. What sucks about other levers you've used? If you let us know we might be able to tell if you'll have a similar problem with the Alien. Personaly, I have no complaints.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    I guess it depends on what your expectations are. I think for people like me who can usually get tires off by hand it works just fine. What sucks about other levers you've used? If you let us know we might be able to tell if you'll have a similar problem with the Alien. Personaly, I have no complaints.
    I used a friend's multi-tool recently (don't remember the brand), and they were too small and awkward to be any real use. My friend said that most multi-tool tire irons were the same way. That was the first tire I've changed on my bike, and granted I'll get faster at it as I get more experience, but I'd like to have decent tools to fix problems relatively quickly on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2004

nothing really matters to me....

I have avoided using them by dropping a whole $3 (my week's allowance) on some Pedro's tire levers. Well worth the investment, you won't find better. And the added weight just makes you stronger.
    otherwise the alien rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The alien tire levers will work but are a bit cludgy.

I usually carry a set of standard plastic levers in addition to the tool.

It is an emergency tool that is designed to get you home.
    It is pretty good for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Snapped mine when struggling with a double ply high roller and a mavic ex729.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well, I ordered the Alien; we'll see how they work out. If they don't, I'll just pick up the Pedros.