mtbr member
    May 2013

how do I undo the rear shock mounting bolt? - Giant Anthem 2011

I don't know why this is so hard, but the bottom mounting bolt on my anthem seems impossible to remove. The bolt on the right hand side I have removed, but the bolt on the left seems to do nothing more than rotate around with the bearing/pivot. All I need to do is take out the rear shock so I can send it off for a service. So frustrating, I can't find any info anywhere!

Thanks

how do I undo the rear shock mounting bolt? - Giant Anthem 2011-shock-1.jpghow do I undo the rear shock mounting bolt? - Giant Anthem 2011-shock-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thread the bolt in about halfway, and gently tap the head with a rubber mallet. That will pop the head of the long bolt out, allowing you to pull it the rest of the way out by hand. If there is significant resistance, you may need to use a drift punch (a socket would work, if properly sized) to tap the long bolt out.

Be careful doing this--last time I spoke to Giant about replacing pivot bolts for a customer, I learned that they only come in the bearing kits.

*edit*

I should also add that, the outside of the larger bolt is not threaded, it's simply pressed in through the pivots, so turning it won't do anything. Just gently tap it out until it can be pulled by hand.

Plays with tools
    I would use a steel bolt if you'be got one. Ive rebuilt a few of those and they seem to come out pretty easily.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cheers guys. Yeah that worked, I was wincing while I was doing it though.

mtbr member
    Don't worry about it - just look at the wall thickness on that pivot bolt! Giants are pretty user-friendly when it comes to servicing the linkages. Scott Sparks, on the other hand...

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.