Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How accurate are Park Tools beam torque wrenches?

24K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  hugh088 
#1 ·
And i'm referring to both the TW1 and TW2. So assuming my eyes are able to read the reading on the dial without fault, how accurate are these beam wrenches? I can't find a figure on them.

#2 ·
Most beam torque wrenches are between 1-3% in accuracy, the middle third of the range is where they are closer to 1%. The only calibration a beam torque wrench requires is alignment of the zero mark, this is accomplished by tweaking the beam to align it.

#6 ·
It's possible, but given the range of temperatures found in nature vs the range steel can withstand before it's properties change, I imagine you wouldn't have any issues with that. Example, if the wrench was so hot as to make the beam more malleable, it would probably melt your hand when you went to use it. I doubt a normal range of temperatures found in a garage would mess up a beam wrench.

On that note, I'd guess other types of torque wrenches are as, or more affected by temperature. Just a guess.

#11 ·
Over the long run the beam type will be more accurate then even the most expensive alternative. The internals of any other type is subject to wear, sticking, and other damage that is not obvious. Beam type, if the pointer is on zero and the beam is not obviouly bent it's going to be pretty accurate. If it not on zero adjust it manually till it is. Again it it's not obiously bent it will be good. Other type should be checked against a test bench, well who really knows. Most manufactures say once a year or less. Drop it and that may be out the window. Get it wet, who knows if it is rusted internally.
Buy a rachet adapter for the beam type and it becomes much easier to use. Make sure you only pull on the handle to get an accurate reading.

#13 ·
hugh088 said:
Buy a rachet adapter for the beam type and it becomes much easier to use. Make sure you only pull on the handle to get an accurate reading.
Who sells those besides snap on? (The ratchetor) I searched but did not find many options at all.

I have a large beam torque wrench and a smaller 3/8 one already, using the 3/8 to install spark plugs in my car was a living hell. I turned them a bit with the beam wrench then when I could not move it had to swap to a ratchet turn a 1/4 turn then put the beam wrench back on etc... And the torque increase was weird so I was worried about tightening too much with the regular wrench. Anyway an adaptor like you mentioned would have saved my bacon big time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HWG9HI...&tag=nextag-tools-tier4-delta-20&linkCode=asn
Is the one I found so far.

#15 ·
Park's TW-2 beam, in the past, has been a rebadged model of the $19 Craftsman wrench (which was ~1/2 the cost). The Park branding also got you an inch-lbs scale in place of the Craftsman's ft-lbs. There was no Craftsman equivalent for the TW-1 when I checked; perhaps that's changed?

For low torques that the TW-1 covers, I perfer a dial indicator wrench, which gives you all the reliability & benefits of a beam wrench in a sealed, easier-to-read assembly.

#16 ·
#20 ·
DavidNeiles said:
plus Craftsman tools now are not made in USA, Park ofcourse is = quality and accuracy
Source? Craftsman handtools are still made in the USA.

beereppc said:
yes, everything made in america is better. this is because americans work harder/are more intelligent/have better quality control right?
There's a lot of other web forums that would probably appreciate your trolling a lot more.

#21 ·
Well, it appears that the Craftsmen wrenches at sears are pick up only, and on their website also, problem is that i don't live in America. Know any other places and wrenches of equal or better quality than park tools, and equal or lesser in price that i can purchase from/in Australia?

#26 ·
gmcttr said:
The Park tools are available from most online bike shops. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Yep, bikebling had a TW-2 out same day for me this week. Speedub is probably referring to the Craftsman wrenches, which are all out of stock online and apparently aren't being sent out to stores either (my local one has been out of stock for a while)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.