Single Speed Junkie

Homemade Bike Tools

Sometimes the standard off the shelf tools just do not work right. Over the years I've fabricated quite a few. Playing with the camera this evening and snapped a pic of the tools. They are nothing fancy but do the trick.

25mm (6061) & 12mm (Brass) axle adapters
    3/16" Internal nipple driver (Standard deep socket turned down on the lathe clearing the rim)

Lets see pics of other handmade bike tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Bike Tools-adapters.jpg  

Homemade Bike Tools-nippledriver.jpg  

Plays with tools
    My home made tools where good enough I started selling them. Truing stand adaptors, lock ring tool, bearing press and more to come.

mtbr member
    I've made a couple different nipple drivers out of old spokes. Can decrease the amount of headaches involved with building a deep dish wheelset. Here's one of them.

Marpilli also reminded me of something. Made a repair stand clamp out of a pipe clamp. There's a thread on it around here somewhere..

Last edited by sasquatch rides a SS; 12-14-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: pics added

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    My home made tools where good enough I started selling them. Truing stand adaptors, lock ring tool, bearing press and more to come.
    I've seen pics of your lock ring tool and it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    rim wrench
    That's a great idea!

I've not done anything extraordinary. Built a work stand (that's a tool, right? ), split-tube headset remover, fork bushing extractor. Bad Mechanic was kind enough to help me out on building a bushing installation tool.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    I don't have a picture, but my headset cup removal tool is an old flat handlebar that I made three cuts into the end and bent out the resulting tabs. It's really ghetto but it works. And my headset cup installer is a long piece of all-thread, some nuts and a bunch of washers. It works reasonably well.