mtbr member

Home made cup press

Who uses one instead of going to have it done?Seen some made with washers/blocks and all thread and nuts.Just wondering how it works as im going to start a Yelli build soon and need to save as much $ as I can by doing some stuff myself.Thanks alot...

Jeremy Reed

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i have done it and it is a pain in the butt. if you do do it get some 7/8 rod and buy the park press bushing or king adapters depending on your headset. the 7/8 is the hole size of the press adapters. this keeps the press centered. the one i used was like 3/8 rod and moved around while pressing.

mtbr member
    Seen a couple vids on youtube and didnt look too bad..

Jeremy Reed

mtbr member
    I have a lbs 2 miles from my house so may be easier to just run it there for them to do it

Jeremy Reed

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    headset or is it a press in BB? there's a guy on flea bay that sells a really basic headset press kit.. basically it's just a big bolt and washers but turns some alum stock to make proper fitting washer "blocks" it's actually what i use now, work very well honestly. was like 10-15 buck if I remember correctly... comes with a plastic drain pipe and another basic turned piece for pressing on the crown race.. hmmm I'll look again as wondering if he's still making them.

OK there are a bunch now from all kinds of people... most are around $20-50 bucks.. still worth it as it's a tool you'll always have.
    headset press in Cycling | eBay
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Yea its headset cups im referring too

Jeremy Reed

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Home made cup press

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyreed View Post
    Seen a couple vids on youtube and didnt look too bad..

Jeremy Reed
    Just a friendly warning about YouTube... Everything looks easy when you are only seeing the nth take (where 'n' is always more than one).

mtbr member
    10-4...I think I could do it first shot taking my time.

Jeremy Reed

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Put a Chris King on my Tallboy. Dead simple although I do everything on my bike. I used some 3/8" rod from a job site, used some hole saws to cut some woospacers and took my time. You will be fine. I also built a removal tool out of 1" conduit.

Jaramie

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by elongate View Post
    .... used some hole saws to cut some woospacers and took my time. You will be fine. I also built a removal tool out of 1" conduit.

Jaramie
    if ya do this, you need to cut a proper ante in the bottom or you can lightly deform the bearing seat,.. yes even with wood if you apply enough force to press in the cup, you'll apply enough force to tweak the seat.. probably won't be much if any, but may cause annoying squeaks and wobbles later. Probably not going to be an issue with the regular headset cups, bu when you start getting into the light and intra light headsets,,...?

mtbr member
    I just pressed in my Bottom Bracket and Headset into my Mach 6 Carbon using 3/4" threaded rod with large washers. I was told by Pivot to do one side of the BB at a time, so I used a small piece of 1/2" plywood with a 3/4" hole to protect the carbon, and a lid to a plastic yogurt container with a hole to protect the BB and headset cups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's pretty simple. Threaded rod. Stack of big washers. Two big nuts (eh hem). Grease the cups and start threading. Do one side at a time and take it slow. If it starts going in crooked, gently punch the cup back out and start over. Used mine probably 20 times and never had an issue. Cost less than $10 from home depot. The one I made is essentially like the ebay one but instead of the milled drivers on either end I just have a stack of 5 big flat wasters on both sides. Works perfect.