Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hollotech original torque for crank bolts?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Wombat 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me the recommended torque spec for a shimano hollotech crank arm. This is the original set not the Hollotech II newer ones. The bottom bracket for this is the octalink hollow shaft. The crank arms are XT and self extracting against the dust cap cover. They came off just fine and after new chain rings I need to put it all back together. No where on Shimano technical pages to they even mention anything but hollotech II. How pathetic that shimano no longer publishes older gear specs and documents?

#3 ·
thanks for that, but I think you are talking about the pinch bolts on the end of the non drive side crank arms. the ones that are head to tail and tail to head, the ones that you have to alternate often so you get the torque the same on both heads.

For the Hollowtech crank I am talking about the large 10 mm allen head bolt that presses the crank arm onto the octalink hollow bottom bracket shaft.

Appologies if we are on the same page. I just thought all the Hollowtech II units were pinch bolt, even the older Hollowtech II's.

these are Hollowtech.

thanks again heaps for your reply bro.

#4 ·
Hollowtech / Octalink is designed for bottom-out, so the goal is to bottom on the spindle. Anyhow, I found a Shimano service instruction saying 35-50 N-m (305-435 in-lbs). In layman's terms, tighten it real tight, feeling for the sudden ramp-up in resistance as the crank hits full engagement.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.