Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    lol, I feel the same way about goldsmithing. Started in the industry and burnt out (financially) running my own shop after 10 years int he industry. I think everything is like that, you gotta keep trying to think of ways to make it a better paying job. Where i am now i went from lowest paid newest sales guy to manager in 8 months.

at 31 i have a few great skill sets but feel completely lost, im torn between the career job that will pay well just because... its what everyone seems to do. Or getting the kinda cool guy job with my artsy job part time and being happy. Im not a very material person, i am a very simple creature really.

I really appreciate everyones opinions and views on the idea, i will post if i go further.

Have a job that makes money Then do something on the side that you enjoy.

Maybe use your hand/metal work skills and become a frame builder?
    Framebuilding Class

read about one persons experience Frame building course - Bohemian Bicycles
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

650b me
    I have taken the framebuilding course at UBI and the Pro Mechanic course at Barnett's. So not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. But I'd say that the Barnett's courses are VERY rigorous and methodical. I stayed at the bike hostel in Ashland with folks taking the mechanic courses at UBI and listening to them talk about it I'd guess that it wasn't as rigorous, but I don't really know for sure.

I can recommend Barnett's for wrenching courses. Plus, you get their DX manual which is pretty darn comprehensive. If you want to go and you can afford it, you should do it, even if you never work in a bike shop. In my case, I do feel like it helped me land a job at a bike shop. I got a job with the local shop of my choice, and over the course of several months I had several other local shops inquire if I was still interested. This despite having no prior experience at bike shops.

No, you won't make a good living working at a bike shop. But it might be fun, if only for a while. And depending on where you work, you'll get wholesale prices on bike parts....a helluva benefit once you realize how much you've been paying retail. Although a bike part habit can easily eat up your paycheck - be careful! Or who knows? It could lead to a "real" job with a bike manufacturer. That's what happened in my case: I worked 6 months at the shop, then landed a job with a locally-based manufacturer. Granted, it was in the warehouse, with only slightly better pay and still no benefits, but don't let people tell you that being a bike mechanic is a dead-end job. It can be a stepping stone, you just have to think big and keep your eyes open for opportunities.

As for me, I left the manufacturer gig to teach myself SolidWorks in hopes of getting (back) into product design. No regrets about my time in the bike biz, and I may end up back in it someday. In summary, follow your folly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2