mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here. Hex sockets for torque wrench

Hey guys, I've got a 1/4" and a 1/2" drive torque wrench, and I'm wondering what hex sockets to get? I'm weary of cheap hex heads, but don't want to break the bank either. I'm pretty sure I will also need to pick up a set of adapters, since many of the hex socket sets are 3/8".

edit: it doesn't get much cheaper than harbor freight, but does anyone use these?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...set-98229.html

with this:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...-set-1793.html

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    lisle makes an ok hex set in 3/8 williams has a 1/4 drive set. we dont really use 1/2 drive hex sockets. the 1/2 ratchets are too heavy to swing all day and not necessary. the craftsman hex socket suck. poorly machined hexes. the cheap imports work for a while but eventually just snap during use.

mtbr member
    cheap hexes tend to round out bolts, especially if you're not dead straight on when you're turning it. that 1/2 inch torque wrench is more than likely useless for bikes.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

ive used that professionally, for automotive (with an impact gun). for being dirt cheap, they've held up well beyond my expectations. thats all the hex sockets you need for a bike, all the torx sockets, all the phillips and a bunch more you dont need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use the Husky brand (Home Depot), and the Kobalt brand (Lowes), and have never had any problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks Pivot. Yeah, the 1/2" will only be used with the 10 and 12mm hex's on the bike, so yeah it's mostly useless. Thanks for the link. I'm with you on the cheap hexes comment, but what makes that 100 piece set for $10 not cheap? Harbor Freight has s2 steel parts as well.

mtbr member
    the astro set is true to size. ive bought cheap hexes that are so sloppy in the fastener that i didnt bother trying.. i also have a bunch of snapon, sk, matco and mac hexes and the astros have a similar tight fit.

HF seems to be moving suppliers all the time, a lot of their new stuff is MUCH better than their old stuff.. but not all. might be worth a shot, but it seems to be a 50/50 shot.

most midgrade and above hexes work fine. the astros are midgrade quality, just very cheap. they're not better or worse than anything else with a typical brand name, just more affordable.

a set that size in socket form (instead of 1/4 drive bits) would be hundreds of dollars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    that's a good point about the price of bit sets vs. sockets. It looks like the astro set comes with a 1/4" socket bit holder, can you confirm it's 1/4"? The description doesn't say for sure, but lists other 1/4" stuff so I'd assume it is. Only thing I'd need to pick up is a 10mm hex, but that's easy enough.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    . that 1/2 inch torque wrench is more than likely useless for bikes.

great for torquing down BB cups, FSA, Sram and Race Face crank arm bolts as well. I torque those parts as religiously as I do stem bolts.

I bought a set of Mac 3/8 sockets and they weren't cheap (~$100 iirc) but I have yet to round out a fastener with them in 3 years. With so many parts getting aluminum bolts I think it's critical to keep your allens in good shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    that's a good point about the price of bit sets vs. sockets. It looks like the astro set comes with a 1/4" socket bit holder, can you confirm it's 1/4"? The description doesn't say for sure, but lists other 1/4" stuff so I'd assume it is. Only thing I'd need to pick up is a 10mm hex, but that's easy enough.
    its all 1/4 inch drive, quick release 1/4 and standard square drive 1/4.