Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hex key sockets

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  agabriel 
#1 ·
I appear to be running into a few torque problems on my bike and I need some hex keys that will work with my old craftsman torque wrench. Does anyone know where I can get socket based hex keys? If not, does anyone know where I can hex key based torque setup inexpensively?

Thanks,
Anthony

#2 ·
That's easy....

Walmart, Home Depot, Menards (if you live in the midwest) Sears, any Auto parts store worth spit that carries tools, etc. The big thing to look for in hex sockets is how squared off the buisness end of the hex is. Many companies tend to round or champher the edges of them a bit for an eaiser fit into the bolt head. However many bike fasteners are relatively shallow. This slightly champhered edge in a shallow fastner can lead to slipping under torque and round the bolt out. I've got a set of Stanley hex bits that I bought at Walmart that I've been using for the last 5 years or so and they work well.

For a bike specific set up Park Tool has a nice set that comes with 3 - 10mm hex bits, T25, T30, and T40 Torx bits, and 8 - 15 mm and a 1" socket. The 1" socket fits the flats on several Park tools like their cassette lock ring and bottom bracket tools. And being bike specific the hex bits will have the nice squared off profile for the business end that is needed for the smaller and/or shallow fasteners that you some times find on the bike. The only problem with it is going to be the cost. They're "Park Tools" and carry a price comensurate with the name. In other words they'll be on the spendy side. But they will be quality tools for sure. And this is a fairly new set so finding one may pose a bit of challenge. I haven't seen one in a shop or online yet so can't even guess at the asking price.

Anyway, they're realatively easy to find.

Good Dirt

#5 ·
chadstoolbox.com and look up bondhus. The best hexes you can get and they don't even cost that much. I also recently found out Bondhus makes the ones for several tool truck brands as well.

You really don't want to cheap out on hexes, especially when pro-level ones cost the same as wallyworld.

#6 ·
agabriel said:
I did check home depot before I posted, they looked at me like I was silly for wanting a socket hex set... I will check a few auto shops to see what they have. I really don't want to spend park tool money on this.
HAHA, that's funny - some people that work there are idiots.
I've had to explain what I'm doing and why before and they'll say "nope, we don't have anything like that". I'll eventually find what I'm looking for and I'll say "It's right here b!tches!"
Once, I was looking for some Tony Stewart swag (stickers etc) for a buddy of mine who is a fan of him, and the lady at CS was all "Who?":confused: haha WTF!
anyway here's something similar to what I use, they all fit into a 1/4" drive or socket.

#7 ·
I can't explain what I'm working on at my local Home Depot; last time I tried they told me there tools will not work with bikes and I should really just bring my bike to a shop and leave it to the pros... I stopped all explanations at that point.

#8 ·
The park sockets and bits are made by the same mother company that makes craftsman and kobalt tools so if you can get one of those brands cheaper at your local sears or lowes you would be getting the same thing. Personaly I just got a set of Blue point metric hex drivers from Snapon.com in 1/4 drive and realy like them for $70. Also have a set of snap on 3/8 drivers but that will run around $120.

#13 ·
Actually, according to a Danaher official on The Garage Journal, that is not correct. All levels are made differently, proven through hardness ratings and other manufacturing methods.

That's why for instance, Mac wrenches cost an arm and a leg, but look the same as CM Pros, and the same as Armstrongs. Kobalt is made well below CM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.