mtbr member

Help with X01 Crankset install...Please!

Sold my Bronson Carbon frame/fork and I'm transferring parts to my Mach 6 Carbon. Everything going well until I attempt the X01 crankset. I don't know how the dual allen screw thingy works on the non-drive side arm, and I can't for the life of me find anything related technical on SRAM's website.

Plays with tools
    It's a self extracting bolt. Leave the oversized one alone.

mtbr member
    Why do they have torque values for both?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    It's a self extracting bolt. Leave the oversized one alone.
    I assume the oversized one is reversed threaded but it won't budge

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Why do they have torque values for both?
    So you can reinstall if you need to remove it. If you needed to replace the retaining bolt then the cap would need to be removed.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    like they said, the outer one is just for removal of the crank arm.. when you start to back out the actual retaining bolt it hits the larger/outer nut/thread washer and pushes the crank arm off the spindle .. just makes it so you don't need a special crank arm removal tool like may other crank systems need.

now.. when re-installing on a new bike.. I DO RECOMMEND removing it and the smaller retaining bolt.. just so you can clean inside the spindle slots in the arm which is near impossible without taking them both out.

Sram's cranks are kinda touchy about getting dirt inside the area where the crank arm attaches to the spindle.. even the smallest speck will make them have issues when installing.

my suggestion, remove both, take a tooth brush and some cleaner (Rubbing alcohol,.. actually I mix some cheapo orange degreaser with rubbing alcohol as it really works better than either alone) and scrub it out good, clean the threads on both nut and bolt as well as inside threads of the spindle and all the splines..

put plumbers tape on the threads of the bolt, (yes plumber/teflon tape, it's better than grease or locktite) grease the head of the bolt and install it and then the larger washer/nut.. then install the whole thing on the cranks.. sounds like a lot but it's really not and if you do it you'll have a flawless working crankset. (assuming you have the BB and all correctly installed)

now, to get it out may people don't have a socket or wrench to fit it.. well for the one or 2 times a "home mechanic" need to remove it you can use a standard 1/4 inch air tool quick connector. slip it into the larger nut/threaded washer and use it with a standard wrench. Yes if you work in a shop get the professional tool .. but this works great. And only cost like 2-3 buck over $20+ for a socket or other wrench that size that you'll use maybe once or twice in your life.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 8.47.20 AM.png
Views: 278
Size:  101.5 KB
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Doesn't bottom bracket type factor in here? I've seen no mention of BB.......

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Clemmons View Post
    Doesn't bottom bracket type factor in here? I've seen no mention of BB.......
    not really,..

Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    .....I don't know how the dual allen screw thingy works on the non-drive side arm......
    kinda gives a clue it's a GXP style BB
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

There is certainly a difference between installation of GXP type and BB30 type arms.

I just went through a similar scenario that confused my LBS too. The gxp style is pretty simple and straightforward, and I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. I guess I'm a little sensitive to the fact that its easily confusable for some (I was one of them) that don't understand the differences in all of the bottom brackets.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, all the diff press fit BB stuff is kinda BS. Haven't actually worked on any as my friends and myself are all threaded on anything that's not still under Warr.. But the press fits I have seen just seem like a PIA and are less reliable. Seen a couple press fit crankset/bb's go back to shops do to issues.. can't remember the last time a new threaded BB went to service under Warr... they may be cheaper for the Manufacturers to make, but I think they are breaking even or possible loosing $$ with all the issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks for these posts. Helped me get my XO1's sorted fast...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com