mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Help me build a work bench!!

Can anyone lead me to some "prints" or dimensions of a good work bench? We are finishing up our new house and I'm going to use part of the garage (3 car) for my "bike & beer shop". I know I could just start throwing some lumber together, but I also know I would have something screwed up. I've got a lot of extra construction materials laying around and hopefully I can get something rigged up with those. Thanks for the help!

Ride Responsibly
    offer the beer to one or more of the construction workers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You my friend are a GENIUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    offer the beer to one or more of the construction workers.

Probably the best suggestion I could have gotten. Funny story...I'm building the deck myself. I asked one of the workers if he would be interested in helping me over the weekend to which he replied....."I charge $20 an hour and would prefer to work all day Saturday and most of Sunday". To which I replied, "Well, however you want to do it, I was thinking of $100 and a case of beer EACH day".

Deck was done for $100 and $30 in Budweiser!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We made ours out of some angle-iron, in around 8ft by 4ft.
    One shelf below, 3/4'' marine ply. Sweeet

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Vortex....this brings up one of my questions. Is 4' to deep to allow you to reach the tools on the wall with ease?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nah i find it just about perfect, but then again i dont have my tools on the wall.
    I think it should be fine though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just had a quick measure and realise my benches are actually 30inches deep, was thinking of the new bench were making.

mtbr member
    Home Depot/Lowes also sells workbenches (relatively easy to build)... I chose this route since all I have are bike tools (no carpetentry or wood tools - or skills to use them for that matter)...

Aquaman
    Craigslist is the easiest way to build a workbench

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/tls/624146556.html
    http://southbend.craigslist.org/zip/634641588.html
    http://evansville.craigslist.org/fur/601147308.html
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/633504500.html

Most of these are over priced I got mine for $25 just be patient and you can get one for cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just purchased a very cheap length of kitchen worktop, a load of 2 x 2 timber, some 2 x 1 and some coach bolts. I then made 4 identical sets of legs (1front, 1 rear, x-braced with 1 x 1) and bolted these to 2 x lengths of 2 x 2 that were screwed+ glued to the underside of the worktop. Cost next to nothing and took 2 hrs to build - and I'm no skilled craftsman.

Good job it was cheap - I had to leave it behind - too solid to move!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My son / father project

I helped my son build this one.Much sturdier and cheaper than anything HD or Lowes has. Some 2 and 4x4's, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I like using masonite as it can be easily replaced.
    Height is important and personal. The general rule is waist high
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Home Depot/Lowes also sells workbenches (relatively easy to build)... I chose this route since all I have are bike tools (no carpetentry or wood tools - or skills to use them for that matter)...
    any pix or price range? if you don't mind me asking... i'm not exactly a handyman and was thinking about this option.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    to Otter, 4 feet is WAY to deep. I can guarantee that you will be most happy with anything that will fit the length of your arm reach and nothing more. In all honesty you really dont need THAT much bench surface to work on, if your bench is too deep it becomes really irritating constantly having to reach with effort to get your tools. Just play around with what feels most comfortable to you and you'll have how big bench is supposed to be. After all it is your space.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    how much space are you wanting? I do some carpentry work with my job and could lay you out one pretty quickly and send you a parts list and stuff. if you want to save a little money, you could make the bench 2' deep and rip a sheet of ply in half to have two shelves, if that isn't a worry then 30 inches is a pretty good number to work off of. For my work benches, I like to build them a little taller than waist high so I don't have to get so low to work on things. My last one was 37" tall, but I am 6'4 also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the offer Mattco!! I'll be out at the house all weekend and will measure exactly how much room I've got to play with (have to work around the windows in the garage). I've got a bunch of OSB and a little Plywood still laying around....so I think I'll go 30" deep. I'm just shy of 6' tall, so will look at going shorter (32-34"?). I'll post again Sunday or Monday.

Bat Fastardson
    FWIW, the Gorilla Rack benches from OSH are pretty good, and you can knock them apart if you have to move.
    All's well that ends.

mtbr member
    I went 37 tall 30 deep, hind site I should have gone at least 36 deep. It's nice I have your tools and bits in front of what you're working on.

mtbr member
    Work benches are easy and fun to build I have two right now. I would not make it deeper than 24" just because it will collect clutter and be hard to reach things on the back of it.

The first one I build just using 2x4s for legs and then a 3/4" plywood top.

For my basement workbench I was given a 20" x 60" piece of desktop surface and I used these workbench legs from Norther Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_40263_40263

You can check both benches out on this thread below: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...37#post4418037

-Joe