mtbr member

Help? Marzocchi Compression adjustment ball bearing detent spring

I am looking for the tiny spring that pushes down the ball bearing detent under the top cap of a Marzocchi 55RC3 ti.

Mine fell out while putting my fork back together this weekend and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it went.

Marzocchi wants to charge me $30 for a new top cap and spring, but I don't want to fork over that much cash for what should be a $1 part at most...

I tried using a mechanical pencil spring, but it was way too big.Help? Marzocchi Compression adjustment ball bearing detent spring-img_3955_edited-1.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3955_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	873983

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Help? Marzocchi Compression adjustment ball bearing detent spring

Personally? I'd just buy the part. Assuming you find a similar sized spring (which shouldn't be too hard to get from a locksmith, I should think) you also have to take into account the spring rate, or you'll get inconsistent feel. If you live near a place that does suspension service, give them a call, there's a chance they might have something.

Failing that, try calling Marzocchi and talking to a person, if you haven't already. Be prepared with the part number, but other than that, you should be good. Most of the manufacturers I have dealt with are more than happy to help, if not mail off small parts like that.

Just don't enter into the conversation with the idea that you'll get free stuff... They are still a business, after all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just use a spring from a clicky pen

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Stock Compression Springs | W.B. Jones Spring Company

get the info off the spring you have.. probably be 10 bucks after shipping and all..

honestly, it looks like you have one, and it the case of that cap all they do is give resistance to make a "click" the one you have would probably be enough, just be tad easier to turn. the one will still hold it in position.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    what he said. its about 10 bucks all in. the standard ball bearing is about 1/8 inch. The spring should be the same.

McMaster-Carr

mtbr member
    Thank you for the replies, I'll try and see if I can track one down thru one of the vendors mentioned. I'll post back w/ the part # if I can track it down.

The picture I posted is one that I stole off of Google immages so that I could show a picture of the spring that I have lost.

As mentinoed in my original post, a clicky pen spring is too large. Before posting here I took apart nearly every pen/pencil in my office nothing even came close.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try fox part no:039-000-015-A

It is a spring for the 1/8 ball bearing detent under a fox 32 top cap
    Last edited by disturbedrider; 03-05-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: adding more detail