Spice
    Dec 2008

Heavy Duty Pump Head

Hi guys,

i'm looking for a heavy duty pump head that can fit presta and schrader valves, the sort of thing that would work well in public use.
    I'm using one of these in the link below at the moment, but the pin inside seems a bit fragile and breaks/deforms quite easily.
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view...ts%7CP-A-R-T-S

I've looked at these:
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Metal-Dual-Head-Bicycle-Tire-Inflator-Air-Pump-Hose-Chuck-Blue-/00/s/MTEwMFgxMTAw/$T2eC16F,!zQE9s3sqJPMBQmZwZH+c!~~60_35.JPG

but it seems like you would have to hold the head on whilst pumping- there is no sort of locking mechanism.

Any ideas?

cheers

mtbr member
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    for public use with a compressed air like the 99c push on chuck for schrader is good. silca for presta

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    topeak makes replacement heads.. about the best I've dealt with...

Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - TwinHead Replacement Kit for JB Sprint/Sport II (TRK-JB03)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Spice
    Dec 2008
    The park tool one is the same as the serfas one, all good but then let down by the weak pin part inside the pump head unfortunately. The topeak ones looked good to me, but i've been told where the metal lever joins onto the plastic pump it can wear away from a lot of the public being clumsy! Or they force it the wrong way and break it.

Ideally I was looking for a solid metal one, like what you get with decent scrader foot pumps for cars but needs to fit presta and schrader. They must be around somewhere, but i'm having no luck finding them :\

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea!

I know you're talking heads but what do y'all think about Park Tool Co. » PFP-7 : Professional Mechanic Floor Pump : Floor Pumps ?

It's got an alloy core. All others i see are steel which i think would be stronger

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Blackburn Anyvalve Pump Head. Works great on all types of valves, and at $3-or-so a head, no need for something super durable, just replace as they go (though Blackburn does tout a lifetime warranty on all products).

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Blackburn Anyvalve Pump Head. Works great on all types of valves, and at $3-or-so a head, no need for something super durable, just replace as they go (though Blackburn does tout a lifetime warranty on all products).
    that looks like just what I have been looking for to replace my crappy air compressor's inflator head.. worth a shot at that price..

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale M200se View Post
    I know you're talking heads but what do y'all think about Park Tool Co. » PFP-7 : Professional Mechanic Floor Pump : Floor Pumps ?

It's got an alloy core. All others i see are steel which i think would be stronger
    personally, I've found the fancy Expensive pumps aren't all that much better than the cheapo department store ones.. I had 2 pumps I got at shops that were like 75 bucks and a cheap $20 one and the cheapo is still going while both the fancy ones are parts now... (think it's a topeak, will have to look later) I will say the gauge on the cheapo is FAR from reliable.. but I don't usually rely on those gauges anyway as I've found that sealant sometimes get's blown back into the pump and screw up the gauges.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    personally, I've found the fancy Expensive pumps aren't all that much better than the cheapo department store ones.. I had 2 pumps I got at shops that were like 75 bucks and a cheap $20 one and the cheapo is still going while both the fancy ones are parts now... (think it's a topeak, will have to look later) I will say the gauge on the cheapo is FAR from reliable.. but I don't usually rely on those gauges anyway as I've found that sealant sometimes get's blown back into the pump and screw up the gauges.
    yea i went with Topeak Joe Blow Sport II Floor Pump $31.98@pricepoint... was looking at Joe Blow Pro too but figured that luxurious shiny silver look is probably the main point on that pump, hence its higher price

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey all, I just got a Blackburn Airtower 4 pump at an estate sale for $1 and it seems to work great on my Schrader valve 29" tires.
    I've read both good/bad reviews and noticed that on the newer ones there is a "New" anyvalve head.
    Mine has just the the 2 separate holes on the valve head
    Is the "new" anyvalve system what got bad reviews or the older (like mine) system?

Obviously the $1 is not an issue here, but just wanted some opinions (not on Blackburn in general!) on my model if any are familiar w/ it. I've just seen too many products that claim to be new and/or improved when the old one was just fine or better.

Hope I'm in the right part of forum and love the site, Thanks all.

Plays with tools
    I remember seeing a pump designed for public use not too long ago. Can't remember who made it though. It's a hard task to do. Even if you could get people to give a ****, there's a lot of ways to skin that cat and it's hard to get people to adapt to your public pump.