Thread: Headset help

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Headset help

I have an Access 29er frame. I recently changed the fork to a voodoo and the headset to a orbit zs-3. The headset is tight, but when I squeeze the front brake, it rocks back and forth and some space opens up between the top cup and the seal. The crown race looks too exposed to me. Any help would greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headset help-cr-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I assume you tightened the headset top cap bolt with the stem bolts loose right? That looks like its nowhere near the crown race. There are a million headsets out there, are you sure the one you bought is correct?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    At first consideration, I would say you need to chop several millimeters off the fork, or add a 5-10mm spacer above your stem (and hope your top cap bolt still reaches the star nut). It looks like you are currently bottoming out the top cap on the steer tube, hence the gap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Bingo. Added two spacers on top of the stem and it tightens up. Thanks a ton!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It feels tight now, but the crown race steel looks like the first picture.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    if it still looks like that it is definitely not fixed even though it may feel snug now. It looks to me like there's a bearing hanging low that didn't seat properly in the bottom headset cup? if the fork is in the correct position all you should see is that tiny stripe of chrome at the bottom (and perhaps not even that). try to push the fork up and seat that bearing and see what happens. you'll want to push hard on the fork and give it a little wiggle to pop it up and into the correct position. unless something is stopping it, the whole assembly (fork, spacers, stem) should go up transferring that gap from the bottom to the top.

you should then remove your top cap, and loosen the stem. push the stem down and add enough spacers so that the top one sits 2mm or 3mm HIGHER than the top of the steerer tube. very important. once all that is set, tighten the top cap (lightly snug) then snug up the stem and try to wiggle the fork.

if that doesn't work there may be something blocking the fork from sitting properly in the headset cup and we can try again.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I did what you said. The crown race will not fit inside the bearing when the crown race is installed on the fork. It is like the crown race is slightly too large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headset help-cr2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Maybe try flipping the bearing? I have a feeling something simple is being missed here.

Can you dis-assemble all the parts and lay them out (minus the crown race/cups)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The bearing is seated. That is the top part of the crown race. The angle makes it look like a bearing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I flipped the bearings. I have the flat side down on the bottom cup and up on the top cup. I think your right, I have changed a couple of headsets before, and it went fine.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Headset help

Quote Originally Posted by 495 View Post
    I flipped the bearings. I have the flat side down on the bottom cup and up on the top cup. I think your right, I have changed a couple of headsets before, and it went fine.
    you did replace the old crown race with the one that came with the new headset right? It looks to be seated perfectly so I can tell you're not a hack, just wanted to make sure that was covered.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Did you remove the old crown race before installing the new one?