mtbr member

Headset Cup Replacement

Wasn't sure where to post this... I just installed a Cane Creek 40 into my aluminum head tube which is 34mm. Went in fine, but I forgot to grease the cups and I can see small metal shavings in the inside of the head tube. My question is this. How many times do you think headset cups can be pressed in and out before the head tube is no longer within tolerance? I suspect each time you press new cups in you take off a small layer of metal from the inside of the head tube.... even when lubed as instructed. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarn86 View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this... I just installed a Cane Creek 40 into my aluminum head tube which is 34mm. Went in fine, but I forgot to grease the cups and I can see small metal shavings in the inside of the head tube. My question is this. How many times do you think headset cups can be pressed in and out before the head tube is no longer within tolerance? I suspect each time you press new cups in you take off a small layer of metal from the inside of the head tube.... even when lubed as instructed. What are your thoughts?
    Yes eventually you'd end up with a headtube far enough out of spec that the cups would no longer seat firmly. However that would take quite a few headset replacements. A headset is usually an item that isn't replaced that often. And a good quality headset with easily obtainable replacement bearings like the 40 series will likely out last the frame. I've got a 15 year old Chris King that's been in 4 different frames over the years. And I've got an old 2000 aluminum Trek frame that's had 5 different headsets pressed into and out of it no problem. The frame has since been retired, but not due to headset cup/tube interface problems.

And don't sweat the lack of grease. The primary reason to use grease is it allows the cups to move more easily and evenly into the headtube, and it helps prevent metal to metal bonding over time. If you are worried about it then simply knock the cups out, grease em, and re-install them. You'll still get a few shavings even with grease. But you'll have the peace of mind in knowing that your cups won't end up permanently welded to the head tube a few years down the road. You still have plenty of life left in the headtube, I doubt very seriously that you'd kill it with just one more install.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Squash, Thanks for the info. I assumed as much but it is always nice to see what others think. I am not sure the design of a pressed cup is the best. I beleive there has to be a better way. Just not sure what yet. I love reverse engineering... I think the other point you made is valid, just becasue you can always upgrade and exchange parts from a frame doesnt mean you should. Someitmes it's just time to buy a new bike....

meow, meow.
    There should not be any shavings ideally.. consider getting the head tube reamed and faced in your LBS -- looks like interference is too tight and probably uneven. And I'd suggest installing with grease or anti-seize compound.
    26" faithful.

canuck
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    There should not be any shavings ideally.. consider getting the head tube reamed and faced in your LBS -- looks like interference is too tight and probably uneven. And I'd suggest installing with grease or anti-seize compound.

yeah, it would be a good idear to get your head tube machined at a good shop next time around , since it seems a bit off.

I rarely have any shavings or debris when I install a headset because I always the correct work before hand.

canuck
    do.