mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Headset/crown race incompatibility danger

WARNING! Deliberate kludge attempt follows.

I have a bike with an "old-school" Cane Creek headset, something like (but not necessarily exactly) this:

VP-A71 Bicycle Cane Creek Headset - Black (28.6MM / 34MM ) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Have not found a source for spare crown races so I'm considering using a FSA crown race that I have kicking around. The CC headset has a rubber "shield" that goes between the crown race and bearings, and with the shield in place the FSA crown race seems to match.

That said, I understand that seeming to match, and actually being a good solution are two different things. I figure worst case scenario the headset becomes toast after some use of this kludge and I replace it with something more contemporary (that comes with the proper crown race-too cheap to do this as the default option). Aside from wrecking the headset, is there any other damage that this expedient might cause (damage to frame etc)? Thanks for any insight you guys can offer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As long as the crown race fits on the fork correctly and the FSA headset used normal sized "old-school" headset bearings that are the same size you are using now, it should work.

Just make sure any rubber shielding isn't interfering with the bearings riding on the race, otherwise, the thing might not turn well or tighten up. Worst case, you might have to remove the seal.

You made me feel old calling that headset old-school.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post

You made me feel old calling that headset old-school.
    Lol, sorry 'bout that. Don't think about it really, but I guess with ever-evolving standards even relatively contemporary tech can seem "old" pretty fast. Thanks for the advice though, hadn't considered that the rubber shield might be problematic. Seems ok when I put everything together, but if it's not smooth once I'm on the bike I'll try it without the seal. Thanks again man!

Plays with tools
    Cane Creek has pretty good customer service. Might try sending them an email with some photos to try and find the correct part. That said a lot of those older headsets had interchangeable crown races.

What's wrong with the one you've got that you can't reuse it?

Hi.
    I have a few steel cup WTB Momentum Comp ST headsets. Bought them cheap on closeout from an online retailer.

I see that you're in Canada, and I'm not sure the shipping would make the effort worthwhile, but you can have it for the price of shipping. I think shipping would be close to $10 via USPS.

Let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post

What's wrong with the one you've got that you can't reuse it?
    Want to switch between two forks (rigid and squish) so would prefer to have 1 crown race for each fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post

Let me know.
    Appreciate the offer, but shipping etc. makes some low-priced headsets at LBS a better option if it comes to having to replace.