mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Harbor Freight Hex wrench set

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    No, but I like the looks of them.

mtbr member
    No I haven't tried them, but I'm with Bill, they look good. I've got a Harbor Freight store about 5 miles from me, so I'm going to check them out this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm more worried about the smaller bit drivers, like 2mm and 2.5. If the finish quality isn't close to perfect, they'll round off screws easily. For $16.xx , it might be worth a shot.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ericepark View Post
    I'm more worried about the smaller bit drivers, like 2mm and 2.5. If the finish quality isn't close to perfect, they'll round off screws easily. For $16.xx , it might be worth a shot.
    If the smaller ones don't look suitable, you can buy better quality small ones and still put them into the same storage rack.

mtbr member
    I've tried the cheaper set of just metric (because i had a coupon to get them for only a buck or two) and I absolutely love them. Surprisingly strong and well built. Use them a couple times a week each week and they have been holding up for a couple years.

Hi.
    I bought that exact set for my dad for his birthday. I wish I hadn't. The wrenches are not machined as precisely as higher-end stuff, and he's had nothing but trouble with them. You may get lucky, or you may get a crappy set.

I went out and picked up a set of Bondhus from Amazon for him as a replacement. The Bondhus are significantly higher quality, and not very expensive. They may not be T-handle, but they work great and are only $16 for metric and SAE:

http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-20199-...ef=pd_sim_hi_5

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I bought that exact set for my dad for his birthday. I wish I hadn't. The wrenches are not machined as precisely as higher-end stuff, and he's had nothing but trouble with them. You may get lucky, or you may get a crappy set.

I went out and picked up a set of Bondhus from Amazon for him as a replacement. The Bondhus are significantly higher quality, and not very expensive. They may not be T-handle, but they work great and are only $16 for metric and SAE:

Amazon.com: Bondhus 20199 Balldriver L-Wrench Double Pack, 10999 (1.5-10mm) and 10937 (0.050-3/8-Inch): Home Improvement
    I'm with you on this one. Quality from HF is all over the map. Some tools are OK some are approaching quality and some are just crap. The bad part is that you can get all three in the same exact tool.

I've rounded off enough fasteners early on to know that a good hex set is money well spent. Especially if you deal with high end parts that are more likely to use aluminum fasteners. I personally use a set from Mac that while although expensive has lasted 3 years under professional use.

mtbr member
    i have a buddy that got that very set awhile back. haven't heard any complaints yet. it's not uncommon to find a great deal at harbor freight. that place is like a dude toy store. my new fav tool is a zip tie puller i got there for $3!
    support, maintain, and ride your local trails!

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ericepark View Post
    I would say that's a nice set if it half of it wasn't worthless SAE sized wrenches
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've had that set for a few years now and I've used it on cars, motorcycles, and my bikes without an issue of rounding out or stripping bolts. In my opinion they are well worth the money. Although they my not be a high quality as Parks but I haven't used parks hex wrenches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have that same set and really like it. I tossed the SAE wrenches though. Find a 20% off coupon and grab it for under $15. winner.

mtbr member
    I was just in Harbor Freight on Monday with my kids (they call it the Daddy Toy Store). They also sell kits with just metric or SAE wrenches, for $9.99. Picked one up, I'll post a report in a day or so.

mtbr member
    I have used this set for awhile now and they have been good to me except the 4mm's handle crumbled in my hand so be careful not to put force on the side that isn't reinforced

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I was just in Harbor Freight on Monday with my kids (they call it the Daddy Toy Store). They also sell kits with just metric or SAE wrenches, for $9.99. Picked one up, I'll post a report in a day or so.
    Use the s*&t outta mine, NO complaints. Got both Metric/SAE, only drawback, they use the same colors.