mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Handlebar holder - anyone have a good homemade design?

I use a Park PCS 1 stand. I know Park sells a handlebar holder or whatever it is called to keep the front end from flopping around. They want 20 bucks for it which seems like a lot for what looks like a coat hanger and piece of velcro. Any homemade designs out there? Or other cheaper vendors for this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Home made bar holder

I can give you two quick and cheap suggestions: gravity and a rubber band. Gravity: tilt your clamp until the seatpost is vertical. Gravity will normally hold your wheel in a straight line. Rubber band: take a fairly large rubber band and loop it through your front wheel and onto the bottle cage bolts on your down tube.

In our shop we usually just use gravity. If you find a situation where you need a mechanical device to hold your bars/wheel straight, I recommend the Ultimate bar holder. It's really easy to use and will hold even with the bike upside down.

Happy Trails,
    Bob

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber36
    looks like a coat hanger and piece of velcro.Or other cheaper vendors for this?

You answered your own question I made what they have myself, and wrapped the ends with electrical tape. works fine
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It's hard to beat the $15 Ultimate handlebar holder.

Quote Originally Posted by mtber36
    I use a Park PCS 1 stand. I know Park sells a handlebar holder or whatever it is called to keep the front end from flopping around. They want 20 bucks for it which seems like a lot for what looks like a coat hanger and piece of velcro. Any homemade designs out there? Or other cheaper vendors for this?
    I'd recommend the Ultimate bar holder- you're not going to be able to manufacture something as good without spending more money.

It's got nice soft rubber straps on each end that strap around your seatpost and bars, and a knurled knob that lets you easily adjust the length of the telescoping tube. It's light, slim, and convenient. I love to be able to adjust the angle I have my bars locked at in just a second or two. Highly recommended. :-)

If Ultimate's website is working (which it never seems to be), you can view it here:

http://ultimatesupport.com/retail/product.asp?13981