mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Grease Tube Theads Broke off in Grease Gun

Well, I've been trying to think of a solution to fix this (short of purchasing a new tube of grease.) It's not a huge issue, the grease still does its job without the gun, but frustrating to have a perfectly good gun in the tool box and not being able to use it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As long as the threads in the gun aren't damaged, just grab a new tube of grease. Sucks to lose a tube of grease, but there are plenty of applications (seatposts, bearing seats, and threads come to mind) that either don't benefit from grease guns, or are more trouble to use than a brush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just use the grease without the gun

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I bet you can get a short threaded cheap threaded pipe piece at Home cheap or other hardware store and just back thread it into the soft plastic of the tube..? then screw it back into the gun.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I bet you can get a short threaded cheap threaded pipe piece at Home cheap or other hardware store and just back thread it into the soft plastic of the tube..? then screw it back into the gun.
    I've thought about that, but those fittings can be upwards of $6. Almost the price of a new tube of grease... I'll probably just leave the gun in the toolbox for now and then when I get a real shop where I can leave my grease out, attach a new tube.

I was just hoping someone else has had this problem and had a good cheap solution to make the best of it. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can buy empty tube (toothpaste tubes and such). They are open at the end, fill in your stuff and heat seal it.

mtbr member

Grease Tube Theads Broke off in Grease Gun

Had the exact same thing happen to me. White lithium grease tube. Waiting until another tube is spent and then I'll open the end, fill it up with this grease and re crimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk