mtbr member

Grease on stem / fork area of frame - help

I noticed an oily film on the frame where the stem and fork join together on my Moto 600HT. Took a picture of it. I don't ride this bike hard at all -- asphalt, well worn and used two track trails, gas well roads, etc. Garage kept, less than 80 miles on it. EDIT - this bike does ride hanging from a hitch-mounted Yakima two bike rack, you can see where it rubs on the frame right at the trouble area. Could this grease be from the bouncing while on the hitch rack???

Or, is this something I need to fix/replace?

Thanks for the help and guidance.

John

mtbr member
    Grease migration like that at seat tubes and head tubes is a sign of a possibly cracked frame. Check carefully around the welds of the down tube/head tube junction.

OSCMTB
    The bottom circle is just residual grease from your headset. No big deal. No idea about the top part, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would do something to try and stop that rub though.

mtbr member
    Its the top circle he should be worried about. The brown dust in the bottom circle is exactly as you described Berkley. The wet area in the top circle can be caused by seeping moisture/grease from a lubricated area through a small crack and to the exterior tubing. You see this frequently with greased seat posts in cracked seat tubes. Head tubes as well. I would worry about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paboxcall View Post
    I don't ride this bike hard at all -- asphalt, well worn and used two track trails, gas well roads, etc. Garage kept, less than 80 miles on it.

Looks like that was a rough 80 miles, are those stem binder bolts already rusted?

Since you said the rack rubs it exactly where the circled area is I wouldn't worry about it, matte black color is easily blemished.

mtbr member
    The bolts do have surface corrosion - in spring time this bike a lot of time out in the wet weather.

The two grease areas I circled in red are all one big greasy area -- its seems to be coming from the joint between the head set and the fork, migrating upward on the tubing. Because the hitch rack supports the bike exactly at this point, I thought it may be excess grease migrating out as the bike bounces - the fork and front wheel free float and would recoil up and down with each and every bump on the road.

All that said - I will flip it and inspect the welds. Like I said, the bike has never seen a jump or drop, 80 easy miles on well worn two track trails and gas well roads, and neighborhood asphalt.

I appreciate the feedback so far.

local trails rider
    Grease?
    Are you sure it isn't brake fluid or something from your car/truck or the road??

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Might also check that brake line might be getting rubbed against the frame when its on the yakima rack.

mtbr member
    Welds are fine. I noticed while inspecting there appears to be residual grease migrating out around than thin black ring at the bottom of the stem between the fork and stem, where the brown dirt is noticeable. Coming out all the way around, just much more noticeable on the side I took the pic.

No cracks, so I guess its not a fatal maintenance issue.

Appreciate the feedback.