mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Gouge in chainstay - Did I destroy the frame?

I was trying to get off my middle chainring not really know what I was doing and not being super careful and I dug the teeth into the chainstay.

It went further then the paint and into the metal. Did I destroy the frame? It dug into the aluminum a bit it appears.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gouge in chainstay - Did I destroy the frame?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Strife21; 11-03-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Rogue Exterminator
    Wow, that looks bad. Maybe it is a case where the photos make it look worse than it is.
    Personally, if you are worried about it, I would take it by the bike shop and have somebody look it over in person.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    double post

Rogue Exterminator
    I would probably ride it and keep an eye on it but I am not comfortable saying that over pics posted on the internet. Worse case scenario the bike can be turned in to a gravel grinder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yea those pictures look horrible. I remeasured its closer to 0.25 - 0.35mm deep. Removed them and put up a better one I took in day light.
    Last edited by Strife21; 11-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    it kind of went in at a angle and pushed some of the metal up into a little lip as you can see. Its really hard to get a good picture based on its location.

So I took it to my local LBS and he said I have nothing to worry about. Said it wasn't deep enough to do any damage and that the part of the chain stay is usually pretty thick and I didn't compromise the stability. He filed down the lip of metal it pushed up and it looks a bit better.

I am still kinda worried, do you guys recommend getting a new frame? Any suggestions that wouldnt breakt he bank. Its cannondale trail 6 26 that upgraded pretty much all the parts on.

New 9 speed slx derauillers, deore crankset and deore shifters, and 2013 rock shox recon silver solo air shock.

So sad just got the fork and I'm worried I broke the frame.
    Last edited by Strife21; 11-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    If you ride hard (AM or DH) then perhaps a new frame might be advisable. But from what I see in your picture I doubt you will encounter any problems with XC riding.
    John 3:16

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    If you ride hard (AM or DH) then perhaps a new frame might be advisable. But from what I see in your picture I doubt you will encounter any problems with XC riding.

Yea its a XC bike. I was thinking of getting a dual suspension bike if I end up riding AM. Trails around me are mostly XC oriented. If I have to replace this frame it pretty much ends the idea of purchasing an AM bike. Simply won't have the funds

mtbr member
    You will stretch and save money if you continue to use your current frame. Just be cautious to inspect the frame for any stress cracks or bends before and after your rides. That gash will probably start to corrode so some touch up paint may be needed.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to ride that frame for another 2-3 years and by that time you'd have enough savings for your AM frame.
    John 3:16

Rogue Exterminator
    Inspecting the frame before and after rides is something we all should do every time but most of us fail to do almost every single time (including myself).

Don't worry about corrosion. Aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion.

If it was a steel frame, then I might worry about it. However, if it were a steel frame, you wouldn't have gouged it. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ha. Yea. Just kicking myself I am usually so careful. It was late and I was super tired and working in minimum light. Should have just went to bed and saved it for another day.

Plays with tools
    There are millions of bikes with scared chain stays that have tons of miles on them. Props to your mechanic for filing off the burr. Go ride the bike, inspect it every time you lube your chain if you're paranoid about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you were super concerned, a welder could dab a tiny bead on that spot, then with some filing and some paint the material could be restored to roughly it's original size/shape.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
    If you were super concerned, a welder could dab a tiny bead on that spot, then with some filing and some paint the material could be restored to roughly it's original size/shape.
    That would do more harm than good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I don't mind it bring visible. Only thing I was worried about was the frame failing cause of my stupidity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here are some pics of it with the burr removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gouge in chainstay - Did I destroy the frame?-photo-1.jpg  

Gouge in chainstay - Did I destroy the frame?-photo-3.jpg  

Hi.
    As customfab said, you're fine. I have a few bikes with stuff like that - 'suck happens.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    That would do more harm than good.
    yup

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yup never even considered doing that so we are good. Thanks for all the help guys.